Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about LaBella Deep Talkin' flats (not the Jamerson Set)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Flatwound, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I got a set of these slightly used from a fellow TB'er, and tried them on my Jazz Bass. They sound pretty good, except that the E string is much thuddier and not as bright as the other strings. Is this normal, or is the E usually as bright as the others?

2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I used the FLs for quite a while. I found them very balanced. Do you know if you have the FLs or the FSs?

3. Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    760 FS, .045-.105. What is the difference in FL and FS?

4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
  5. gbenner

gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    Mark, I found the Pyramids to be the same with there E string, but not as bad as the Labella's. I have asked the same question on a few sites, and haven't found a good answer, regarding the Labella's. You might want to email Labella, that was going to be my next step. I have 2 set's of Pyramids and they both have a duller sounding E (havent tried your set yet). When I used the Labella's in the band it was not as noticable, but at home at a low volume it stands out. I would like to hear what Labella has to say about it.

George

6. Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Well. I called Labella, got Richard Cocco on the phone (!), and he's going to send me a new E string to try out. Wow.

He said that the E should be similar in tone to the others.

7. pbassnut

pbassnut Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    Falls Church, VA
    I have these same strings on a few of my Fenders and the set I currently have on my Hot Rod Precision has a dead "E" string. It's probably a quality control issue. I'm a cheapskate and therefor am living with the problem under the theory that if I keep them on the bass long enough, the other strings will eventually catch up to the "E" in terms of "deadness" and it'll thud evenly across the fingerboard.

8. I had a set of LaBella flats on my Stingray from March through November, and I found that my set was VERY balanced string-to string.

To answer your question, yes, the E string on the set I had was just as bright as the other strings.

Mike

9. Davo737

Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    I use the 49-109 DTFs, and found that the E string was a bit thuddier than the others right off the bat. After a couple weeks of use, though, the others mellowed out nicely to match the E.

10. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I said wow after I talked to them too! Richard is great to deal with. Hes making me a custom tapered E string for my 760FM set. :D

11. Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Well, I got the new E string and it's deader than the one I have. :confused: Nuts. When the Dude flats come out, I'll have to try a set of those.