Question about LaBella Deep Talkin' flats (not the Jamerson Set)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Flatwound, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I got a set of these slightly used from a fellow TB'er, and tried them on my Jazz Bass. They sound pretty good, except that the E string is much thuddier and not as bright as the other strings. Is this normal, or is the E usually as bright as the others?

2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I used the FLs for quite a while. I found them very balanced. Do you know if you have the FLs or the FSs?

3. Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    760 FS, .045-.105. What is the difference in FL and FS?

4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
  5. gbenner

gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    Mark, I found the Pyramids to be the same with there E string, but not as bad as the Labella's. I have asked the same question on a few sites, and haven't found a good answer, regarding the Labella's. You might want to email Labella, that was going to be my next step. I have 2 set's of Pyramids and they both have a duller sounding E (havent tried your set yet). When I used the Labella's in the band it was not as noticable, but at home at a low volume it stands out. I would like to hear what Labella has to say about it.

George

6. Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Well. I called LaBella, got Richard Cocco on the phone (!), and he's going to send me a new E string to try out. Wow.

He said that the E should be similar in tone to the others.

7. pbassnut

pbassnut Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    Falls Church, VA
    I have these same strings on a few of my Fenders and the set I currently have on my Hot Rod Precision has a dead "E" string. It's probably a quality control issue. I'm a cheapskate and therefor am living with the problem under the theory that if I keep them on the bass long enough, the other strings will eventually catch up to the "E" in terms of "deadness" and it'll thud evenly across the fingerboard.

8. I had a set of LaBella flats on my Stingray from March through November, and I found that my set was VERY balanced string-to string.

To answer your question, yes, the E string on the set I had was just as bright as the other strings.

Mike

9. Davo737

Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    I use the 49-109 DTFs, and found that the E string was a bit thuddier than the others right off the bat. After a couple weeks of use, though, the others mellowed out nicely to match the E.

10. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I said wow after I talked to them too! Richard is great to deal with. Hes making me a custom tapered E string for my 760FM set. :D

11. Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Well, I got the new E string and it's deader than the one I have. :confused: Nuts. When the Dude flats come out, I'll have to try a set of those.