1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question about LaBella flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by randall p, Apr 30, 2010.

1. randall p

randall p

Aug 14, 2009
    norwich, ct
    Many sources tell me that LaBella Deep talkin's aren't suitable for string-through instruments. Can anyone tell me why this is so? Is it a simple legal disclaimer that can be ignored, or can I expect very premature string breakage which is a waste of money. Would appreciate any insight into this.

2. joinercape

joinercape Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2007
    I used them for a long time on my MIA Fenders, which were string through, with no problems whatsoever.

3. It's so because Labella says it's so. WHO should know better than them?

Do what you want. If you install them string-through and they break, you have no recourse to the manufacturer or the retailer.

Some people get away with it. Ya pays yer money and takes yer chances.

4. nic salsus

nic salsus

Mar 16, 2010
    Flats of any kind break easily when the bare part with no silk is forced to a right angle either at the bridge or the tuner post.

5. randall p

randall p

Aug 14, 2009
    norwich, ct
    Thank you for your advice. My fretless has D'addario flats on it, modded MIM, string thru. They held up so far( 2 months?). Figured it was just a legal disclaimer, but though I would ask.

6. nic salsus

nic salsus

Mar 16, 2010
    Every problem I've had with this the string has broken during installation or very shortly after. After 2 months you're probably getting away with it.

7. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    If you look in their catalog on page 18 in the lower left-hand corner, you will find a blue box with the title "Thru-Body Flat Wound String" (Available in all of the above sets), where they state that "La Bella Strings introduces the first successful flat wound bass string meant specifically for electric basses where the strings pass through the body".

http://www.labella.com/catalog.pdf

I don't know who sells them, but apparently Labella does make them.

8. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

Because of the way flats are wound, they are not very flexible. The inner core cannot usually handle the sharp angle going over the bridge and they break.

Meanwhile, I have not found ANY difference in sound on through-body or not. In addition, flats will have less of the overtones that through-body is supposed to help, so through-body flats may be irrelevant.

Perhaps this research is more important than looking for through-body flats.

9. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

LaBella flats are high tension.
    The bend at the bridge when put string-thur.
    Once you do this, they can not be used again on a no-string thru bass.
    Plus to my ears, the sound better on a regular bridge.