1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question about Line 6 cable from bass to transmitter

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bob Clayton, Dec 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    I have a Line 6 G30 wireless system, and I could really benefit from a right angle cable instead of the straight cable it came with. Looked on Line 6's website and they have one for $30. Seems a steep, no? Says it's made with Mogami wire, but $30 for a two foot cable?

It's just a 1/4 to 1/4 cable right, or am I missing something here? Premium Right Angle 1/4" Cable - Accessories

Just looked on GC's website, I guess it's not too out of place for Mogami, just struck me as odd for a 2 foot cable.

Anyone have any experience with that replacement?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Yup, just a standard mono cable. Buy 2' of Mogami cable and a couple of Neutrik ends for $2 a pop and be done.

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Mogami is good cable, but it's $0.84/ft when bought from places liked Redco.

4. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I used short 1/4" patch cables for years. They set me back less than $5.00.

5. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    I have no experience making my own cables like that. Is it simple? Any online guides?

6. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Yeah, it is super, super simple. Once you do it a couple of times, you'll be good at it and you'll kick yourself for ever paying as much as you have for cables. I haven't bought a premade cable in many years now... always DIY. The best part is making ones exactly how long I want/need.

Making a mono cable is about as simple and introductory to soldering that you can get. You can go a little overboard and use star quad for it, but that's not necessary at all.

I didn't read all of the text on this page, but from skimming it seemed like a good, end to end guide:
    Quality Instrument Cable: Why It Matters, and How To Make Your Own

I also wrote a post on soldering here that was a sticky at one point, but likely long gone :p

Edit: Managed to find it. There's some good discussion in there:
    The Art of Soldering! (a how-to)

7. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    If you can solder it's very simple.

If you can't solder and want to learn, making a cable is one of the best places to start.