Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about loose Essex Tone control

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ajcwales, Apr 21, 2003.

1. ajcwales

ajcwales

Apr 2, 2003
    Just recieved my Essex SPB62 about a week ago, and since then I've noticed that the tone control is pretty loose, and I'm not seeing much, if any, change when I have it all the way on or off. I'm very much a beginner bass player, so I'm weary of trying to do anything about it myself, but is this something that I can take to a luthier or someone to fix? I'm learning how to play so the tone control isn't a critical feature for me right now, but it's a little disconcerting seeing it slightly loose down there. I'm reluctant about sending it back to Rondo because I live on the other coast and it would be a big time hassle, and it would be a lot easier if I could just find someone in town to do it :D Thanks for any info, hope this is the right forum.

2. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Kurt is really good about customer service- my essex jazz had a problem when I got and I got it picked up by UPS a few days later...took less than 2 weeks total to get my new one. If you call or email Kurt with the story, he will probably send out UPS to pick it up from ya and get a new one out to you ASAP seeing as your a newbie and didn't see the problem right away, even though it is past the 3 day DOA return. If that doesn't work out, you can probably just have a new pot mounted in the bass. The pot will cost around $3-$5 and the process of popping the control plate, replacing the pot adn re-soldering it should be about 30 mins labor for a skilled luthier, giving you a total of $20-$30 for the job. If you knwo someone who is goog with electronics or wiring, it would be best to buy a new tone pot from your local guitar store and have them replace it, and buy them a meal or somethin. :)

3. Hmm.. Are you sure it's not just the tone knob that is loose?

If so, all you need is an appropriate allen wrench, and tighten the grub screw the tone knob has. :)

If the pot itself is loose, this should be pretty simple to do, too.
    Take off the knob, and tighten the hex-nut - this is what holds the pot onto the scratch plate. :)

G'luck, and happy bassin! :D