1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Question about mailing taxes today...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bobbykokinos, Apr 15, 2009.

1. So, I'm one of the lucky ones who gets to pay the government taxes this year..

I've already e-filed so the return is filed.. I cut a couple checks to my state and federal for payment and dropped it off in a drop box at the post office. I didn't actually hand it to anyone but I saw others dropping off their taxes in the same drop boxes.

Will it be posted marked today??
    If not, should I be OK since its just the payment and I've already filed??

or

Will I probably be charged a penalty??

I checked online for post offices around me with extended hours and none of them had any..

2. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=206279,00.html

3. There is no unpaid amount.. The checks I sent pay the full amount. I'm just worried that it won't be post marked today since I didn't actually hand it to someone.. I just put it in the drop box as the post office.

4. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    The "unpaid amounts" in that paragraph refers to payments that are not made "by the deadline." If your payment was not postmarked on the 15th, then it was not paid "by the deadline" and you could face interest and penalties.

5. ahhh.. Well I guess we'll see.. If I get penalties, Im sure everyone else in line will get them too...