1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

question about make a fretted bass fretless

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Secret Journey, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Secret Journey

Secret Journey

Aug 29, 2009
    Hey all, I keep reading about putting a coat of poly, or epoxy on fretboards after make them fretless. MY question is this, Why do you put epoxy over the fretboard?
    I am asking this question because a friend of mine (who was a pro back in the day) loves his defretted G&L 2000 maple neck/board. He pulled the frets filled with wood filler, and never added any additional coats over the neck.
    Do you need to coat with poly/epoxy or not?
    Thanks for any insight!

2. poomwah

poomwah

Jan 26, 2008
    Its mostly for protection from the stings rubbing against the wood. Look at an old , well played fretted bass and look at how much wear there is in the metal frets, imagine that same amount of abrasion on wood.
    Its said also that epoxying the board can slightly alter the t one a bit as well, which could be a good or bad thing depending on what you want.

3. Secret Journey

Secret Journey

Aug 29, 2009
    I plan on using flat wounds. Will they tear the wood up as much?

4. Arx

Arx

Jan 22, 2008
    No, They'll certainly do less damage than roundwounds.

5. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL
    There are a lot of good threads on this too. Lots of info.

6. papa_joe

papa_joe

Aug 15, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    anyone have experience with the rosewood fingerboard and what to coat it with?

7. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    Toenails with a bit of searching;)