Question about Mexican Jazz Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by crisbloomington, May 3, 2005.

1. crisbloomington

May 3, 2005
    What is the difference between an American Jazz Bass vs. the Mexican Jazz Bass? I looked at a picture and the mexican jazz bass looked smaller on scale? What is the real difference? I'm wanting to buy one and a smaller scaled bass would fit me perfectly. :help:
  2. crisbloomington

May 3, 2005
    I'm new and don't know how to get back to the post that I've made, so if you could pm me and let me know about the bass and also how to get back to where I am. :bag:
  3. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    It's not the scale difference. They are both 34inch scale-IIRC, it's more in the quality of parts, where it's assembled etc.
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yup. The Mexican Jazz is made from more inexpensive parts, while the American Jazz is assembled in California with higher quality parts. Not saying you can't get a good Mexican Jazz, some of them can be quite the deal. American's tend to be more consistent in quality as well, but a good Mexican can be better than a good American. It's all about preference.

(and budget) Likewise, the American is at least twice the new price.
  5. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Sorry if it seems like I'm jacking the thread...but if yo'u're lookin for a short scale Fender they're like 400 which i'd recommend the SX Jazz Short Scale...but I'll shut up now :)
  6. If you want a shorter scale Fender, you can always check out Fender Mustangs...I think they go for around $600. It has precision-esque pickups, and from what I've heard, it has a good punchy tone.
  7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Both instruments come in 34 in. scale.

I haven't compared the features in a little while but major differences include:

1. The Am Jazz has graphite rod/rods in the neck for stiffness

2. The Am Jazz is available with a maple or rosewood fingerboard.

3. The Am Jazz has a dual mode bridge allowing through bridge or through body stringing.

4. I believe only Am Jazz has "S1" wiring for a series mode.

5. Check for more differences...
  8. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
  9. The real big diffrence is in the pick-ups i think. The Mex has crappyer wiring and poor pickups. Its probly best to buy a good constructed mex and buy am. pick-ups then switch. Also if u look at the sunburst on both the am. has better wood grain but that is just preference on what u think looks better

p.s. Im goin to switch mine soon but i got no $$ cuz my new Badass II. :D
  10. DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North

True for the "Standard" model, but the Deluxe Active (MIM) Jazz has the US electronics - very good stuff IMO. Body, neck, other hardware is still Mexi stuff. Not a bad deal all things considered.

11. Musicfreak1988

Feb 2, 2005
    Indeed, like has been said before, I'd also buy a MIM jazz, and replace the pickups with bartolini, dimarzio or lindy fralin pu's...
  12. Exactly why I did this to mine.......

SD QP pickup, Badass ll, Hipshot tuners and USA pots. Now it's a great bass.