Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about mismatched pickup output

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dave120, Jan 23, 2006.

1. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    Ok so I just installed all new electronics/pickups in my bass and I have a question.

I have a SD Hot for P bass P pickup and Hot Stack J pickup installed, with Vol/Vol/Tone controls.

When I run both pickups on, it sounds great and has a certain output. when I turn the J pickup all the way off, the P pickup's output gets a noticeable amount louder. If I turn the P pickup off, the J output seems to be about the same as it is with both of them on. I haven't figured out if it has reduced output with both of them on or just boosted with just the P on. It souns great either way I just thought it was weird.

The tone controls work fine and everything so I don't think I have anything wired wrong. I'm just curious as to whether this is normal operation or if I might have missed something? I didn't seem to have this happen when I had the stock SX J pickup in there with the SD P pup.

Any ideas?

2. It's normal. A SD Hot Stack is even quieter than a SD Vintage P (I've got a Warmoth with that combo) so with a Hot P the difference is even bigger.

Now, when you connect two pu's in parallel, they present an electrical load to each other, and because of this the overall output level is normally slightly lower than the output level of the quieter one.

3. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    Thanks! If the Hot Stack is so quiet I can't imagine how quiet a Classic stack would be! I usually run both of them on full anyways so it's not a big deal, I was just curious why it did that. I guess that's a trick I can use to boost my volume when I need to be heard for something...I can just roll back the J pickup slightly and it boosts the volume a bit.

Thanks for the help!