1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question about mixing and matching heads and cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by giantimi, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Hey there,

I currently have a Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 with a 1x12 cab combo (the cab is also from Genz Benz). I have the option of adding another cab and I am considering getting the Galien Krguer glx410 (I found one for about 200 at a local pawn shop). Has anyone ever tried this particular combination before? Your comments would be greatly appreciated. Have a nice day!

2. I would not see those two cabs pairing well.

Do you like the sound of your current 112? If so adding a second one would be a good move.

3. I love G-K, I don't care for the GLX cabs. They were a special order built for Bain Capital Group (G.C./M.F. etal) right before they decided on their own imported brand with the "Acoustic" name.
    IMHO pass. Great for a beginner rig and the pairing would likely be a fail.

4. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    First of all, if the 410 is 4 ohms, you can't use it with the 12" cabinet, the load would be below the 4 ohm minimum rated load.

Second, I do not know for sure but would not expect the 410 cabinet to share the same phase response that we apply to all of the GB cabinets within a model family. Different drivers types, different cabinets, different design approach. Therefore, I would not recommend this out of hand.

5. Thanks for the fast replies everyone....

I got the shuttle 6.0-12T Combo a couple of years ago because of the option of later upgrading my cabinet setup. I am going to be gigging soon and in my band the guitar and drums are quite loud and with my current setup it is difficult to cut through. I want to add another cab. Do you guys know other cabinets the shuttle 6.0 head sounds good with?

6. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Get a second matching GB 1x12. You'll have a mean little 600 watt 2x12 stack that's nice and portable and wont have to worry about phase response mismatches.

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yes, imo, you have 2 options, 1- get a matching GB 1x12 to ADD to what you have, or 2- get a good quality large cab, like a 2x15, a good 4x10, etc, and use that cab by itself, and leave the 1x12 at home.

8. srayb

srayb

Oct 27, 2010
    Ontario, Canada

Totally agree. You might want to look into music stores that rent bass cabs, that is what I have done on many occasions - rent a large 4-ohm cab and that way you can test it in real-world conditions without shelling out lots of dough.