Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about MM Sterling

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matthew West, Jun 10, 2002.

1. I bought a MM Sterling last September. I love the way the bass plays, but I've grown to not like it in a band situation. With the tone controls flat, the bass response is weak. When I use the tone controls to adjust things, the bass boost comes out boomy, and the highs come out raspy (keep in mind that I play rock music with a pick).

I've been trying to sell the bass off and on for the past six months, but I saw something on the web today that piqued my curiosity. Over at the BGRA, I found a review where a guy who was having the same problem took out the stock preamp and replaced it with a Bartolini NTMB preamp. Has anyone tried anything like this, and will it help to even out the sound? I'd rather keep the bass if I can do something for less than $100 that will make it sound better.

Any suggestions would be welcome. Right now, this bass just sits in the case.

2. Anyone? How about bypassing the preamp altogether and running it passive? How hard would that be?

3. Matthew, go here www.guitarboutique.com and direct the question to Jimmy. They're doing some work on my Yamaha, but, he knows a lot about MM basses. He's a pretty cool guy. I think he can give you some ideas. He talked me out of trying to convert my Stingray to a Sterling, which would have been more $ for him. I admire that in a person.

Which reminds me, I have a MM pickup question to ask over in Pickups.

Hey, what have you got to lose?

Good luck.

Mike J.