Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about MM Sterling

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MrFortuneCookie, Oct 17, 2000.

1. I was wondering, the Musicman Sterliing, was it created to sound like the Stingray 5? Or is it supposed to have it's own sound?

2. The Sterling is a different bass, that just happens to look like a Ray. The difference is in the switching. You can run the split pickup in parralell or series modes, and it gives three different sounds. The Ray is wired one way only. I think the smaller body and neck gives a different sound too, not so aggressive!

3. Woops, got that wrong! I just reread your post and noticed you said a 5 string. Sorry dude. Sounds are quite similar between the 5 and the Sterling, but the 5 has a lot more mass and so a slightly bigger sound.

4. TonyS

TonyS

Dec 13, 1999
    USA
    I have a Sterling (My main axe) and a Stingray Five. Marty hit it right on the head. His post exactly reflects my view on the question.

FWIW I really have found the sound and playability I've been looking for in the Sterling.

Best Wishes

5. Cool, thanks Tony, Thanks Marty, if i decide to go back down to 4 strings from 5, then i'll give both a more extensive trial. Otherwise, Stingray 5 it is. :D

6. Sterling or Stingray 5???!?!?! gaaaaaaaaaah... I'm going to go insane!!