1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question about MM style pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Daveomd, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Daveomd

Daveomd

Feb 28, 2010
    I am assembling a bass and I'm considering either P/J or P/MM pickup config. I know nothing about the way MM pups are wired, though. I assume there is a way the coils can be split, but what are some of the available combinations? Are they like two pickups in one housing that you can switch between? If that's the case it seems like pairing one with a P in the neck position could be pretty versatile. Any ideas/ suggestions would be great.

2. Assuming a four conductor output, you can wire the coils however you want.

The traditional MM vibe is with the coils in parallel.
    You can also wire them in series, use just the north coil, just the south coil, series out of phase or parallel out of phase.

3. ex-tension

ex-tension

Jun 11, 2009
    Also, there are triple-coil and quad-coil MM pickups.

In quad-coil config, each row of the pickup is (in-line split coil) humbucker.

In triple-coil config, there is a dummy coil under the pickup, in order to use in single coil mode for hum cancelling.

With these types of MM pickups, you get hum free operation even when you use only one side of the pickup.