Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

QUESTION ABOUT MODIFYING A BASS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RickJames, Mar 2, 2004.

1. RickJames

RickJames

Mar 2, 2004
    I bought a Squier P Bass cause it had a really nice natural finish on the body, I'm more of a guitar player and the price was right. Would it be possible to replace the neck with a fender brand neck and replace the pickups with active pickups? Wondering if this can be done without jeapordizing the performance since they're sorta "different" brands.
    Thanks
    Ryan

2. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    Since nice replacement necks (like from Warmoth - http://www.warmoth.com ) will run you close to $200 and decent pickups at least $100 it might be cheaper to sell the Squire and buy a good new or used Fender MIM or MIA (whcih can be had from about $300 to $600)....

It's been said around here "You can't polish a turd". In the long run you may spend the money upgrading and still not get the sound or feel you want.

Just my opinion....

Don

3. Don is right, but in answer to your question: you'd be fine. still, i'd do what Don suggested.

robb.