1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Question about modifying a Mesa M6 (effects loop switch content)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by johnbegone, Aug 5, 2012.

1. johnbegone

johnbegone Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Hello friends, I'm hoping someone can help me. If not, tomorrow I'll reach out to Mesa - but I figured I'd start here.

On the back of the Mesa M6 Carbin there is a switch for the effects loop. I want to make that switch into a jack so I can use an external footswitch with it. The reason for THAT is that my guitarist and I share a Line6 Pod X3 so when he makes patches changes, my patch changes at the same time (which give my sound a little hiccup) so I only want my effects loop on while I'm running effects through the X3.

I opened up the amp and the switch has three wires labeled SD RT and RJ. Will these line up on a TRS jack, if so - what configuration? Any ideas would be great as it seems like simple enough mod that I can do it myself if I just have some direction.

Thanks!

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Sorry I can't help with the actual question, but sharing an fx pedal between you and a guitarist seems like a bad idea all around. i'm not sure how you can even do that. I would strongly suggest not doing it, even if that means no fx for you.

3. johnbegone

Sep 16, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Check out the X3 Pro. It's got two independent tones with independent ins / outs. It's not "sharing" necessarily. Allows us both to have multi-effects and be able to make switches with single program changes for both of us.

4. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    An external switch box will do what you want without ruining your amps resale value.

5. johnbegone

Sep 16, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah, that's what I've been looking for. I think I found an external solution so I'm going to probably try that first instead of modifying the amp.