Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about modifying a Spector NS2000 Q4 *what a mouthful*

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Garrett Mireles, Oct 28, 2002.

1. I was wondering if you guys think swapping out the EMG HZ humbuckers from a Spector NS2000 Q4 and putting in a pair of Sadowsky J-Bass single-coils would sound good?

I love the Sadowsky sound. Just wondering if you guys would think that it would like..kill it or something. :D

2. Symphony X

Symphony X Guest

Oct 28, 2002
    Dude if you put Single coils in a humbucker bass it's gonna look goofy unless they are pretty wide....

But I don't know CRAP about pickups either :p

3. Yeah I guess that's true.. But I'll like..put duct tape over it. :D

Nah but seriously. I'll take it to the shop and have them put in molding clay to fill the gap.

Just want to know if it'll sound awesome..or if I should bother.

Oh. I play Metal/Classical music btw. :)

Edit: AHEM!! No racial epithets, period. It's stipulated in the forum rules. Please don't do this again.

Son of a billy bob fartin under the moonlight yeehaw. I was just kidding.

I'll take the hint tho.

4. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    What's wrong with your HZ's?

5. Uhhhh .... see ... I don't exactly own a Spector yet...

:D

I plan on getting one though. I was also looking at the ESP TA-500 and Jackson CMG..but I haven't heard of anyone talk of them. But I always hear good things about the NS2000 Q4, so why not.

I was just wondering what you guys would think about dropping 2 Sadowsky J Pickups in there, just for kicks.

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    EMG & Bartolini make single coil pickups that are the size of Humbuckers that would be a direct replacement for those HZ pickups. EMG's are the 35J's & 40J's & the Bart;s are the M4 & M5. The 35's & M4's are 3.5' wide & the 40's & M5's are 4"wide.

When ordering the BArt, ou have to specify that you want the J in that casing.

I think you will have a KILLER sounding bass with the mod you're thinking about. Personally, I'g go with an NS-4CR, but that's just me.

7. Really? Sweetness. Does Sadowsky make those casings for J-Bass pickups too? Or maybe I could purchase the casing from the company you mentioned and just get Sadowsky pickups and stick in der?

8. I have a Spector NS2000 that I've had for a while and I didn't like the EMG-HZ pickups that much. The regular EMG's like the 35J or 35DC which is more like a humbucker are direct replacements but to me sound too bright (but are great for slapping, popping and all that stuff...)

I got a set of Bartolinis (M34C for the neck, M34CX for the bridge - the CX is brighter than the C and they are both passive pickups) and the Bartolini 4.6 preamp which has Volume, Blend, mid-EQ and stacked Treble/Bass pots running on 9v. Made the WORLD of difference! I can get rumbling lows when I need them and still get a bright sound for my infrequent slap/pop forays.

Just my opinion but the setup worked well and doesn't cost you an arm and a leg - the pickups were $170 a pair and the preamp $125 at Guitar Electronics. Check out their website for more stuff.

BTW, EMG's are also sometimes hard to get - a few stores I know have quit carrying them because of bad service from the factory. Only something I heard, but check it out.

9. Hmmm. I'm a Sadowsky FREAK.

I was thinking of putting in a Sadowsky preamp. That's for sure.

Maybe I'll get some Bartolini Humbuckers to replace the EMG's?

10. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Now that you're maybe getting the Q5, are you still going to upgrade the pickups?

11. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I've got a Spector REX2000/5 with the EMG Hz pups and EMG Preamp. I think they're really good - nearly as good as the EMG DC40s in the Czech Spectors.

If you haven't tried one, how do oyu know you won't like the sound. I'm a great believer in - if it ain't broke, don't fix it! Although I can understand wanting to upgrade something you're real unhappy with!

12. Half the fun of playing is gettin to mess with ur gear!

Plus it'll sound better. This is gonna have to last me for 1.5 years through gigs and the like.

So it's gotta be top notch! :)

13. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Hey Garrett...I'm checking out that deal with increasing the voltage today when I get into work...I'll let you know what the scoop is!!! If you can get away with doing that and not changing the pick ups, then I say go for it!!!:D

14. Alright cool man. What difference does it make, tone-wise?

15. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    More headroom, increases transients...better tone, man!!!

16. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Garrett et al:

Add the extra battery. Man, what a difference! I can't believe the tone! No need to upgrad pick ups at all...I'm going to write Spector and ask why they don't offer this option at source...hmmm...hope they don't do it and then jack up the price...

17. I met someone who works at Spector in New york and he told me all the higher end US models are getting the Aguilar preamp and they use a Fishman Doubler - which is an electronic device that takes a single 9v (if you don't have the room or even if you do) and kicks it up to 18v! :D

This is helpful if you have active pups that use a 9v as well - that way you only need two 9v in your cavity. You can get the Fishman Doubler at Stewmac.com -- I did it to my Spector and only had to add the Doubler (it takes the place of the connector to the battery - looks like a 1/4" thick piece of plastic with the connectors on it)

Hope this helps. :)