Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about Modulus

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TimBosby, May 11, 2005.

1. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    A guy (not on here) is offering to sell me a '92 Modulus for $650. Sounds like a great deal but he doesn't have much in the way of info about the bass. Here was his initial description: I am selling a Red 92 4 string Modulus Bass for $650 or best offer. It has a graphite neck, 24 frets, a bartolini pickup, and cuts through the mix like a mofo.

It is in great condition. It has only been played in practice 3 times and never used at a gig in the 2 years that I have owned the guitar, so it hasen't been used and abused at all.

He told me it isn't a Flea but it is what later became the Flea--that's all he knew. Anyone know anything about Modulus from back then? I'm trying to figure out which bass this is so I can read up on it before making a purchase decision.

I play a G&L, an American Fender Jazz, a Carvin, and an 80s Ibanez so Modulus is normally out of my price league--therefore naturally I am interested.

Thanks!!

2. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    i think it was called a sonic hammer.

3. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Yup. That's what the "American Basses" book says. (I was just reading the section on Modulus).

4. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    If this bass is in good condition, it is a good deal. Mods do cut through. Check the lists on these new. I think graphite stands the test of time.

5. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    And don't forget to read the sticky thread in the classifieds "how to not get ripped off on the internet" :D

6. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    With one pickup its either a sonicHammer, a Flea, or a Q5 sweet spot. IMO you can't loose with any of them.

7. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    you guys are right...it is a sonic hammer

and it is a local guy so i know i will not get ripped off

8. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Actually for the record I just realized it could have also been an "M92" (I think) which is what they called the Q5 sweet spot bass at first.

9. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    is there a difference?
    i thought all m92s had an EMG...this one has a bartolini.
    i read a bad review of the m92 and a good review of the sonic hammer...

10. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    If the guy is local, have him bring it buy so you can test it with your rig. Also, I am not sure if these years have truss rods? If not, check the neck for bow, I do believe it most likely will be flat.

11. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    I tried it today. It's an M92. It has an EMG not a Bartolini. Sounds freaking awesome but the action is set for funk and slap. Too high for me. He's letting it go for only $650 though. If anyone is interested let me know and I'll let him know.

12. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Can't you set the action on the bass? Don't pass it up for the cost of a $35.00 setup. You probably need it done anyway. BTW the old Mods do not have a neck relief adjustment (there are no truss rods on the new basses).

13. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I thought M92 was based on a Quantum 5 ... 35" scale. Sonic Hammer was 34" scale and became the flea bass. You should buy that bass and take it to a tech for a setup. You can get really low action going on quantums, no problem.

14. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Setup is not really the issue anyway...I just didn't really dig it. It is a sweet bass and it looks cool but I just decided that it is more a funk bass and I really don't need a funk bass. However this guy really wants to sell it so if anyone is interested, holler at me and I'll let him know. $650 for a 92 Modulus is a steal.