Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about Musicman S.U.B's

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by flexo, Sep 4, 2005.

1. flexo

flexo

May 3, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    Hey,

I just bought one of these and i can't seem to find the serial number. Just wondering if anyone knows where the serial number is located on the subs?

2. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    on the back of the headstock - it's on a sticker and it should start with an "X0....."

if not, i think you have to take off the neck....

3. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Not sure since I haven't dealt with a SUB yet, but did you check the bridge?

4. flexo

flexo

May 3, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    Dang! It looks like there used to be a squarish-shaped sticker on the neck but its not there anymore. I haven't checked the bridge, but i'll do so when i get home. I'm not too fussed to see the exact serial number but i was just kinda curious since i couldn't find it anywhere.

Can anyone confirm the location of the serial number?

5. i had one for years and never could find that thing.

6. nivagues

nivagues

Jan 18, 2002
    >>>Can anyone confirm the location of the serial number?

On the rear of the headstock in front of the D tuner.

7. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Will check tonight.....I'm sure there's a sticker on tha back of the headstock.......(embarrasingly, I used it last night to audition for a band.......and I still can't tell you with 100% confidence where the serial is...... :oops: )

8. nivagues

nivagues

Jan 18, 2002
    [​IMG]

That's a SUB4. The SUB5 has it to the right of the G tuner.

9. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Ding ding ding......we have a winner.......that's where it is.....I remember it now! :oops:

10. flexo

flexo

May 3, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    Thanks for the replies everyone! :cool:

Well, that's clearly where my sitcker WAS, but its not there anymore! The store must have taken it off! Don't ask me why they would do that though! Oh well, at least i know now!

11. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Why would the store void the warranty like that?

:confused:

12. nivagues

nivagues

Jan 18, 2002
    flexo...was it bought new?

13. flexo

flexo

May 3, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    Wow i didn't know that would void the warranty. :eek: :confused:

nivagues,

I bought it a few weeks ago when i was on holiday in singapore. The serial number wasn't on it when i bought it but its obvious there was a sticker in the right spot.

I don't understand why they would have voided the warranty like that! :confused:

14. WarwickFan

WarwickFan

Feb 7, 2005
    Florida
    I wonder why MusicMan doesn't put the serial number on the neck plate like they do on their other Basses? They are made at the same factory in SLO, CA. :meh:

15. nivagues

nivagues

Jan 18, 2002
    >>>I don't understand why they would have voided the warranty like that!

I don't know if it would void the warranty or not, but I suspect so. Otherwise, how would thet ID the Bass?

>>>I wonder why MusicMan doesn't put the serial number on the neck plate like they do on their other Basses? They are made at the same factory in SLO, CA.

My toss is that it would add to keeping the costs down.

16. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The only reason I could think of taking the sticker off would be if the bass is hot. But I don't want to think of that.

17. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Or used.

My Peavey Grind also had a "stickered" serial, unlike most basses that have the serial printed on the back of the headstock. A previous owner removed it. So it could actually be used.

BUT, it could be stolen considering he bought it in Singapore.

18. flexo

flexo

May 3, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    Is there even theft in singapore, the penalties seem pretty harsh over there for that sort of thing! ;)

It doesn't have any wear on it or anything like that so i doubt it was used (if so it was lightly used). Also i bought it from Davis Guitars and they seemed pretty reputable and a few forumites here said they were pretty good apart from the grumpy old guy that owns the store!

It's puzzling me a lot but at least i'm really enjoying the bass! :hyper:

19. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    That's weird because normally if the bass was purchased new, the serial number appears on the invoice. Check your receipt.....

20. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Maybe in their 'incredible inteligence' they took it off because it looked tacky, and they thought it would look better without the sticker.

:rollno: