1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question about my 2007 SVT-810e

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jason the fox, Nov 6, 2013.

1. jason the fox

jason the fox Often rocks and rarely rolls.

Jul 2, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    So I picked up an Ampeg SVT 810e yesterday. Its a brand new 2007 cabinet - the store ordered it directly from whoever their supplier is for Ampeg gear - but oddly enough, the cab says 2007 on the small sticker on the jack plate. Made in China. I'll have to check the serial number when I get home, to get the exact date.

Now, this doesn't bother me. It's definitely brand new - it was in a factory Ampeg box, wrapped and padded, etc etc. The fact that it's a 2007 model probably just means it literally was never sold and sat in warehouse to warehouse before it was ordered in by a customer.

My question is are the 2007 China-made cabs OSB or plywood? And what are the general thoughts of the Chinese-made cabs vs Vietnam? Would this cabinet be from the period that's considered "dark" sounding? I did some digging on the forum; just looking for a few more opinions.

For the record, I'm really liking this cab so far. Only been able to play it at home so far, with an SVT-CL. Tinkered with some sounds, and I really enjoy it regardless of year, country of origin, etc. Gigging it this weekend.

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

You got a good deal on it though, right? I would have no problem buying old stock, especially if I enjoyed it, but you would be nuts to pay full boobies for it. They couldn't sell it for 6 years, why should you be the guy stuck with it? You did pay for a band new one...

2007 should be plywood, I thought the OSB stuff was all made in America (2001-2006), I am sure an Ampeg expert can chime in.

Either way, enjoy the new cab. Have fun moving it ;)

3. Plywood, LOUD Tech went back to plywood. Not the "dark" sound cabs I'm about 99% sure.

4. MJ_Sotti

MJ_Sotti formerly "Mike in Chicago" Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Chicago
    I had a 410 vietpeg and it was plywood and pretty great.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    100%. Plywood and much better sounding speakers. Good score!

6. jason the fox

jason the fox Often rocks and rarely rolls.

Jul 2, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Nice, thanks guys.

Like I said, I'm really digging it so far anyway.

I don't have any experience with an SVT-810e with the 'darker' sounding drivers, so I really can't compare this one. Great sounding cabinet though.

I've played through and gigged with an 810 before (not an ampeg) but after spending some time with this one, I'm still shocked at how 'big' the sound is. Really looking forward to getting it out this weekend.