Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about my Ampeg B2

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MarkMcCombs, Dec 23, 2002.

1. I play a Peavey Cirrus, which is 18-volt active, so I've always used the -15 pad on the input of the amp, but have been disappointed in the amount of volume I get from my rig (head + 2 4x8 cabs). When I plug my instrument in, I first adjust the preamp gain until the light just lights up when I hit a string pretty hard, which is what's suggested. I then use the volume knob solely for volume.

Well, yesterday, I disengaged the -15 pad and adjusted the preamp gain the same way, and WOW, now that's a rig! Much louder and better sounding. My long-winded question is, is there something wrong with doing this?

2. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Thats exactly how I have been using my Ampeg B4r and Ampeg SVT200T for years. Even though I play active basses (currently a Warwick Thumb). I haven't experienced any problems using the "0db setting. I just have to turn the gain knob down until the red light is barely flashing like you are doing.

3. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    It shouldn't hurt the amp I don't think. I do the same thing. I hate the sound when using an active bass with the -15dB button on.

4. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    I never use the 15dB pad on my B2R.

5. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    The pad is really "only if needed". I never use mine on either my B2R or WT-400.