1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question about my bass for recording

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sptz, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Sptz

Sptz

Apr 18, 2004
    Hey, I didn't know where exactly to put this but, here goes anyway.
    I have an ESP LTD B-104, I play in a metal band and we are recording an album, but the problem is this, our tuning is CGCF, so I had to adjust the neck as well as the bridge a little, and got some heavier gauge strings, .115-.50 or 45 I don't remember exactly. This bass with these strings sounds pretty good and heavy, it still growls and cuts through, but here's my problem.
    In the studio I'm recording everything is being micced (I don't know if that's the correct expression), except me, (as I was expecting...) so basically the bass sounds pretty bad, I don't know where exactly it was plugged in but in a rack, but I didn't bother much looking at it, it sounds like it's fret buzzing like hell and I couldn't even turn the volume knob all the way up, although in the middle of the mix (with all the guitars and drums) it sounds good, but alone it sounds horrid... I really don't know what to do, I was thinking of buying a Sadowsky outboard Preamp to beef up the signal, but will it really help? This bass I'm playing has active pickups.

So my question exactly is, should another bass be necessary, meaning, this bass isn't handling the gauge and/or the tuning very well, or should a preamp help?

Thanks in advance.

(I just realized this should be in Recording Gear and Equipment... sorry about that...)

2. Bass Below

Bass Below

Oct 24, 2006
    New York
    The engineer is probably running you direct, with the intention of re-amping your dry signal later on. What you're hearing is just the bare bones pure signal that's coming out of your bass.

3. Sptz

Sptz

Apr 18, 2004
    Hm... okay, thanks, but do you think a Sadowsky preamp/DI would be a good aquisition? Also counting on live gigs.

4. Bass Below

Bass Below

Oct 24, 2006
    New York
    I personally don't own a preamp or a DI. It would be a waste of my money since the clubs I usually play in either tap off of the direct out on my head and EQ that signal on their board or they already have a DI box and probably wouldn't want me using my own.

As for recording, you're paying for it so you should be able to use whatever you want. If you get some sort of a DI/preamp and you insist on using it even just to lay down your tracks, the engineer should let you. It's your money he's taking.

5. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    I don't know how others will feel, but that doesn't seem like the best solution to me. You'd be better off replacing the onboard preamp in your bass with an Aguilar or Audere preamp IMO.

In the situation you are describing, you'd basically have 2 active EQ's. Seems redundant. I would get a regular, but quality, DI-box like a Radial JDI. Also, I don't know how the bass is setup, but if you haven't set it up recently it might be a good idea to do so, or have someone else do it if you aren't sure of your abilities. Especially if you are de-tuning like you are, the setup is sooooo important.

Another thing to consider is that some of the best sounding bass tracks in the mix don't sound good when soloed. If the producer is getting a good tone for you in the mix, why get all worried about how its sounding when soloed. Its not like anyone will ever hear it singled out, its how it fits in the mix that matters most.

6. Bass Below

Bass Below

Oct 24, 2006
    New York
    Good point. Very good point. On my last recording, I layed down my tracks right into the board via a DI. Just pure bass signal, no preamp. I fell in love with it, solo as well as in the mix. I now regret the fact that it was reamped in the final mix b/c it was so much more expressive when it was dry. Ah well, next time.

7. Sptz

Sptz

Apr 18, 2004
    Hm... yeah you're right, yesterday I heard it mixed with the guitars and drums and it sounded really good. So, yeah you do have a point, and I had a setup very recently, soloed it sounded like it was fret buzzing everywhere, in the mix it was good .. Thanks for the answers guys :)