1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question about my bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by sonicthepunk, Mar 22, 2006.

1. sonicthepunk

sonicthepunk Sound of Music salesman/jr. tech

Mar 22, 2006
    Kokomo, IN
    Hey I am a long time reader on this site and just joined. I own an Engelhardt EM-1 and have for quite some time. I always see everyone posting that the factory strings are horrible and that it needs a setup. Well I work for an independent dealer of Engelhardt and when I received mine the setup was very low and the strings sound pretty good. I am wondering if my wholesaler did any alterations to it or anything like that. The strings have a dark purple thread at nut and saddle and appear to be Thomastik Dominants, but I didn't know if there were any knockoff strings that used the same thread pattern or anything like that, and the setup is your typical, business card height at nut and very low at bridge. I primarily play old school punk rock, and psychobilly and like the tone of the strings that are on there now because they are so bright, but didn't know if there was a good alternative with less tension without sacrificing, brightness.

2. Sonic: I am sure that somebody with much more knowledge than I will come and give you some great advice, but personally, I'm a member of the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" school of thought. If you are happy with the action and happy and the sound "speaks to you", I say leave it alone.

Keep an eye open, though, because these guys here are very good and I'm sure you will get some great advice.

Shelly :)

3. Anon2962

Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
    Hi! If you could post some pictures of the strings (where they go into the tai8lpiece and into the pegbox) and maybe a picture of how high the strings are (a hard photo to take!)etc. , you could get alot more detailed advice...

4. sonicthepunk

Mar 22, 2006
    Kokomo, IN
    here are a few shots of the pegbox and tailpiece silks, it's hard to get a clear color with such a crappy floor lamp but that's the best I could do, and there are a few setup pics too, I think that it's a pretty good setup DSC00982.JPG

DSC00984.JPG

5. sonicthepunk

Mar 22, 2006
    Kokomo, IN
  6. Anon2962

Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
    I'm no expert on strings, arnoldschnizer is the resident strings expert, but at a guess i'd say you have factory strings. depending on the sound you are going for, quality strings would definately amke a difference, if i am right of course. and if those aren't factory strings, and they are more than a year or so old, then you could still definately go for a new set.

what kind of sound to you want? bright/dark, thump/sustain, metallic/gut?

setup does look good, as far as i can see and in my opinion.

7. sonicthepunk

Mar 22, 2006
    Kokomo, IN
    I like a bright string with lots of sustain, and more of a metallic sound. When I play electric I use so much mids and treble that it makes your ears bleed. I love it. and I would like to have a pretty bright upright sound too.

8. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    i wish it were that easy for everyone else.....put some spirocore "mittel" guage strings on it, made by thomastik.

9. mpoppitt

mpoppitt

Mar 28, 2005
    Austin Texas
    If you like the steel sound, but are looking for low tension, get a set of 'solo' pitched strings, and tune them back down to regular 'orchestra' pitch.

10. Anon2962

Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
    Have to say i wouldn't recommend this. I'd look for an orchestral tuning string. There are many low tension strings for pizzicato playing.. velvet strings' 'garbos' is one i can think of off-hand, and most people love the sound...

11. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    i wonder: did anyone ever identify the original strings? what strings would, say, a ca. 2000 englehardt EC-1 have shipped out with from the factory? thanks, y'all

12. kittydiln

kittydiln

May 29, 2011
    I could not agree more! Indeed, if something is not broken, why take the trouble of fixing it! ;)

Professor Katherine Bodenhamer Anderson