1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question about my Bass

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Avalis, Apr 9, 2010.

1. So every since I took my Dean EAB Playmate in to Guitar Center for restringing and putting the amp jack nut back on, my bass has been giving off buzzing when I play G#, A, A# and sometimes B (G1-4) on the G string. It's starting to carry on to the D string...specific F (D3)

One of my friends, whose a drummer but he's brother plays bass so he deals with maintenance of it, noticed the string was out of the groove, so we loosed it and got it back in the groove, didn't help.

Another one of my friends thinks the neck needs to be reset (which....basically went over my head since this is the first time I've had problems with it in 6 months and I'm new to guitars and all that).

Interesting note: It has a wooden bridge and the strings are starting to eat through the bridge which I've noticed along with both my friends and the guitar center guy that had my guitar to reattach my amp port and restring (I kinda want to know why that took 30-45 minutes and what he was doing to it, lol)

So I guess I'm asking if anyone has any other ideas about what it could be? Should I start looking for another bass? Thoughts?

2. LedBelli Bass

LedBelli Bass Fine, Handmade Custom Bass Guitars

Dec 25, 2008
    Pasco, WA
    If the gauge of your new strings differs substantially from your old set (i.e., if the new set is of a lighter gauge), then it's entirely possible that you could get a fret-buzz; particularly if the action was already very tight . . . .

3. I don't think it's a different gauge since the Guitar Center near me only carries one brand of acoustic strings, in this case "D'Addario EPBB170 PB Soft Acoustic Bass Strings" and I've only had them changed twice and it didn't do it the first time.

Fret-buzz? action? (yes I'm showing my noob...ness. lol)

4. Rocky McD

Rocky McD

Jun 28, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    Just to test, loosen the problem string or strings and place a small shim (small piece of business card size) between the string and the bridge (in the groove) this will raise the string slightly. Retune to see if the buzz goes away or gets less. If it does, then you know the string is too low and bridge repair or adjustment will be needed.
    Rocky

5. davemonkey

davemonkey

Mar 28, 2010
    Houston, TX
    You might need to adjust the truss-rod. I used to get a buzz about the same spot on a Peavey. A couple turns on the truss rod and all was well. +1 on checking the bridge adjustments as well.

6. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Sounds like you need to bring it in for a full set-up. This guy is in Livonia: http://www.dajosguitars.com/

I don't know him at all, google brought me to him, but his site looks thorough and he's close enough to Westland for you to check him out personally...

7. Attached Files: