Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about my combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xb100, Aug 19, 2005.

1. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    My peavey tnt has a speaker jack on the back that says minimum load of 4 ohms. So if I hook another 4 ohm cab to it I would get 200 watts out of the power amp

I understand that part, but I read in the owners manual that the external speaker jack is parallel with the internal speaker to produce maximum load.

Does that mean that once I hook up another cab to my tnt that both cabs will each get 100 watts?

Because the internal speaker is getting 150 watts right now by itself.

Or does that mean once I hook up another 4 ohm cab that the cab I hooked up to my tnt will only get 50 watts?

Thank you!

-Rob

2. bassontherun

bassontherun

Jul 9, 2005
    Yep, you nailed it! If two speakers (one internal and the other an external cab) are the same resistance (looks like 4ohms each in this case), they will each get 1/2 of the wattage. If you are in a situation where you have an 8ohm speaker and a 4ohm speaker, the 4ohm speaker will get 2/3 of the power while the 8ohm gets the other 1/3.

That ought to be one CRANKIN' combo!! (Love those Peaveys!)

3. The other speaker must be 8 ohm so the total load will be 4 ohm.

4. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Uh...no it says right on the back of my amp minimum load of 4 ohms.

You might be thinking of the tko 115.

It's capable of adding an 8ohm extention speaker.

-Rob

5. I think what he means is that the internal speaker on the amp is 8 ohms, so adding another 8 ohm cab would give you the 4 ohm minimum.

6. This could be a matter of interpretation, so perhaps it would be good to see exactly what the owner's manual says.

It's entirely possible that the amp is rated into a 2 ohm load--many Peaveys are--and that the internal speaker is 4 ohms. Then adding a second 4 ohm speaker would be reasonable, since the total impedance would be 2 ohms. Therefore it's a pretty straightforward interpretation of the external speaker jack if it says "external speaker, min 4 ohms".

7. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    "# 200 watts (rms) into 2 ohms
    # 150 watts (rms) into 4 ohms"

Taken right off of the peavey website for the tnt heres a link tnt

-Rob

8. Yep, your internal speaker is 4 ohm. So plug another 4 ohm speaker into the external speaker jack. Then each speaker will get 100 watts. It will sound considerably louder than the single speaker with 150 watts.

9. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In

Thats essentially all I needed to know.

Now I can go get an extention cab and use it with my combo, but the later use it in my actual rig, I think I might go check out some avatar cabs.

-Rob

10. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    old thread but, I also have a tnt and i'm considering pairing it with a 2x10 cab via the external speaker jack. I'm just wondering how it worked out for you with the combo? How much of a change did it make in your overall sound?
    Peace

11. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Well as of yet I have not gotten my 210. But I did have the chance to play my tnt through a peavey 410 tvx cab. The overall sound, volume, and presence increased I thought. Was alot fuller and had more bite, so I assume a 210 would do the same.

12. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    thanks alot... I bet it might even sound a tad bit fuller with 100wtts through the 2x10's instead of the 4x10's...... I could be wrong.. ... thanks again
    Peace