Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

question about my dream setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassman60, Jun 5, 2001.

1. bassman60

bassman60

Jun 5, 2001
    Hi guys, I am new to this forum and to large bass rig setups. I need a new amp and I want something big because my band is playing high volume gigs now. I was considering an Ampeg b-4r head with two svt410hlf's. Would this be a good set-up? It would be a 2 ohm load and my amp can handle that, but I was wondering if this would be the best set-up for this amp, or if something else would be more efficient. I am a 5-string player but I love 10's so I thought these cabs would be the best option.

2. The 410HLF aren't at the peak of loudness, and roll off at 48 Hz... not good for a 5 string bass.

Check out: EA's VL-310 and the Genz-Benz 610T-XB
    These both are rated at 106 SPL compared to 98 SPL for the Ampeg. Both the EA and GB are -3dB under 40 Hz.. much better for a 5 string.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Welcome to TalkBass!

Since you're a 5'er like me, have you considered a 2x15" with a 4x10"? Eight 10's is sho' nuff loud, but 10's just don't handle that B string like 15"s or 18"s, IMO.