1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question about my Fender American Original 60's Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nunovsky, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    Hi!
    I've been noticing something about my American Original JB and last saturday, the vocalist of the band I was playing with noticed the same.
    The E string sounds louder that all the rest. You can really feel the diference in the dinamics of the notes and I end up adapting my technique to compensate that, playing softer on the E string and harder on the other ones. That gives me an uneven tone on the bass that's beggining to bother me a bit.
    Is it a pickup thing? Like a diference in the magnet poles of that string? Is there a way to fix this with a setup without having to swap the pickups?
    I notice this with both pickups on but I still need to check it with each pickup soloed.
    Thanks to anyone who can give me any advice on this.

2. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    I have the 60 American original also. I had my bass set up by a Great Tech. He set up the neck, Pick Up height, bridge etc and it came out great. If one string is dominating the others then yes you need a PU height adjustment. I heard of the loud E on that model before. But I still believe in the Bass Doctor. A good one who take it seriously.

Don41_2 and Nunovsky like this.
  3. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    I'll try to change the strings as well since these are a few months old, altough still ringing. I tried the bass this morning with my amp and one thing that I've noticed is that the E string sounds not only louder but fuller, with more body and low end. The same note in the A string seems to lack a bit of bass body. So I don't know if it's simply a matter of volume but also of more low frequencies spectrum in the E string.
    I've just spoke with the guy that makes all my setups and he'll look into that and I'll be changing the strings as well.

4. 707GK

707GK

Jun 13, 2013
    Northern California
    Moving to a lower gauge E string may help. I’m not sure what gauge you have on now, 45-105 are usually what comes on Fender’s basses from the factory and if that’s the case, you may be able to switch to 45-100 and hear a difference. But, maybe not. Some claim lighter gauge strings will give you less bass, full, rounded tone than bigger gauge.

5. Sounds like your pickup height is off. I’d invest in some rulers or a set up. iirc all the setup info is on fender’s website.

Don41_2 likes this.
  6. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    7.5 / 9.5 radius fretboard curve Vs flush pickups magnet pole piece = Loud E and G, weak A and D.

Solution....

raise magnet pole piece .talkbass - Google Search

You can search my old thread(which image provide) which I bump the A and D pickup magnet polepiece on my jazzbass to get pretty nice string to string output balance.

Hopehelp

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  7. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    The distance between the PU and the string is a function of string and PU height. You may be able to raise the E and get the string to string response to be more even.

I have two of the same model basses that have different woods in them. One had a very strong B string and the other had a good B string. I did some careful comparison between the two basses and discovered that the B string was closer to the PU on the one that had the strong B string. I lowered the string on the other bass and now both basses have a strong B string.

Good luck to you in solving this issue.