Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about my fender p vs. a jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by blong1, Feb 18, 2002.

1. blong1

blong1 Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2000
    Alabama
    hi all,
    i recently bought an american deluxe fender presicion bass with the sole intention on using this bass for slapping. i've messed with the settings on my bass and amp, and it sounds ok. but i just can't seem to get the sound that i'm looking for. then, the other day, i go into a music store and pick up a fender jazz bass. i start to play a few slap lines and it sounds great. now my question is this...are jazz basses better for slapping (as far a sound is concerned), or do i need to play around with my settings some more on my p-bass? if it is just a settings problem, what do some of you slappers use for your settings?

2. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Ideally, yes, I would say the Jazz for slap. With your P-bass, maybe you could try lowering the mids a bit while keeping the high end EQ up there. I really don't have a clue how to get a good slap sound out of a P-bass.

Maybe someone else has tried it.

3. just turn the bass control 12 o'clock, mid 10'o'clock, and high all the way and set your tone to max in your bass, now, when i slap in my p-bass i slap all strings i don't pop them 'cause you get a brighter sound, try also Ernie Ball strings. i use hybrid slinky nickel wound and i get a convincent slap sound, by the way i have a hartke cab and it has a shape control that improve the slap sound a little. hope this help you

4. oh, the first three was for your amp or pre amp

5. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Jazz basses are usually prefered for slap, but you can do it on a Precision. The new Deluxe basses have that humbucking style pickup in bridge postion. If you cut the mids, you should be able to get a really decent tone. I still prefer the sound of a Jazz bass for slap though.:)

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

People have slapped on a P, but the traditional slap tone is a Jazz. One noteable guy currently slapping on a (Yamaha Attitude) P is Doug Pinnick of King's X. Gets a great slap tone through a vintage SVT. Aww yeah!:cool:

7. Toneman

Toneman

Jun 6, 2001
    Long Island
    I love P basses but the jazz is more suited for slap.

8. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Of mass-produced basses, the Fender Jazz and Musicman Stingray deliver the best slap sounds, IMO.

9. blong1

blong1 Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2000
    Alabama
    oh well, thanks for the replys people. i love the variety of tones that i can get from the p bass (with the exception of slapping on it) so i'm kinda torn on what to do. i have a 5 string warwick corvette and it has jazz pickups on it, but the string spacing it too close for me to slap on it...which is why i bought the 4 string fender p bass. maybe i'll looking into trading, but i just hate to take the hit in my pocket book.

10. You need a second bass. And keep that P bass!

I have a jazz type (Fender RB5) and just bought a MIM P4 because right now I need the P tone that the RB5 won't deliver.