Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about my first (and only) Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TyKao, Sep 13, 2003.

1. TyKao

TyKao

Jun 29, 2003
    I have a Washburn Lyon WB-10B bass. It's a 4 string Precision clone with a maple/maple neck. The build quality is better than a Squier, but not quite a real Fender. It's decently heavy, but nothing too burdensome. The thing cost ~$250 back in 1994. It's lasted me a surprisingly long amount of time and people give me compliments about my sound and playing, so it must not be junk, right?

Anyway, it occurred to me that I don't know what kind of wood it's made out of. I haven't been able to find any kind of information on it using Google.

Anybody else have one of these? Maybe my beginner bass could become a kickass P with a pickup, neck, and bridge change? I might just do it if it's an Alder or Ash body, but if it's poplar or something lower on the food chain, I'm not going to bother.

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Hi! Have you tried contacting Washburn? They may have old catalogs that give specs, if you catch them at a slow moment.

3. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    does it look like this:
    Robb's Lyon
    if so, Robb might be able to enlighten you. I think he did some work on his. His user name here is 'rcz'

4. TyKao

TyKao

Jun 29, 2003
    Thanks for the search term, xush. That's exactly the same bass I have.

It seems that the body is plywood. Damn.

Still, it's a great bass for the money I paid for it. I've got so many memories attached to it that I told my friends I wouldn't sell it unless I really need the money for living expenses or develop a huge Charlie Parker-like drug habit.