Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about my fretboard changing color..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Timbo, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Hey guys..
    I have a warwick corvette fretless bass. I've actually not had it for very long, little over a month. I've noticed that on my fretboard ( ebony ) there are a few spots where it looks as if the darker would color has rubbed off a little and a much lighter brown is kinda 'shining' through. It's only occured in a few spots ( so far ), and they are in the shape of my finger ( when it's pressed down). Is it just normal wear, or a coat they put on the wood that is wearing off.. Or..?

2. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    Many manufacturers stain the ebony to make it look more black. Although I can't see your bass, it wouldn't surprise me if some of that was coming off. Much ebony is not completely black, but they believe that customers want it black.

3. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Hmm. Alright cool. Just making sure I wasn't supposed to soak it in something every now and again or it wil spontainiously (sp?) conbust. It's prolly rubbing off in certain area's more than others because lately I have acquired a taste for trems.

BTW, thanks for quick reply ;)

4. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    My Carvin has that too. I think it's either a stain rubbing off or lack thereof, I like it , adds character, and streaked boards look cool.

5. jvbjr

jvbjr

Jan 8, 2005
    The supply of pure black ebony dried up decades ago and now most companies do dye their boards black. The dye is ok under a finish like Pedulla's Diakote where it will not see wear, but otherwise it is cheesy IMO.

6. MyDogBo

MyDogBo

Aug 25, 2002
    LA
    happened to me too .. 'cheap dye job' .. !

7. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    Actually, that looks as if it could be Macassar Ebony. It is a black and brown colored Ebony.

8. Let it wear through. It gives the instrument character.

Instruments with plenty of normal wear that are otherwise well-cared-for are COOL!

9. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    what kind of bass is that? and how many years of wear does it have? :eek: It does kinda look like macassar, either way, IMO it looks sweet.

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Looks like macaser, Looks better.

11. hehe...I'm sure you guys are much better bassists than spellers...(thank God for that)

I believe it is "macassar"
    As a side note: not to be confused with "madagascar" (because that is ALSO a type of ebony)

TONE WOODS ARE JUST SO #$%@ CONFUSING!!!

12. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    You can see a bit of the upper horn in the pic. It looks like it has the white cerusé finish on it, hence it being an F and hence high chances of it being Macassar, however I think the owner would know if it came like that or was originally black and wore off.