Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about my neck..

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ldiezman, Aug 7, 2001.

1. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Ok so I just bought my Stingray 5.. I do love it most definately. What ticked me off though is the guys at the store didn't really set it up properly.. For what I paid for the bass they could have spent more time making it great.. Its not like this place gets that kind of business on a daily basses. Anyway. this past week i noticed that two of my strings were buzzing when I played them open... I am not happy about this so i called the place where I bought It from and complained that I had just bought this bass and it wasn't set up right and there is some major fretnoise going on... they told me it was because of the humidity and i needed to bring it in to be setup again... I would do it myself.. but The place didn't give me all the tools I needed to do it myself... i don't know if they are going to charge me i hope not.

My question is... is it really the weather that is causing my bass to buzz or is it a cheap ploy by these people to point the blame somewhere else. I know different climates can make a bass do funny things. but the weather hasn't changed that much in the past month...

2. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Did they set it up at all in the first place? Most shops around here don't do anything in that respect.

Where does it buzz? Fretboard, bridge, nut? "everywhere"?

Fill in some info, post it in the Setup forum, and someone will come running to recue - I assure you!!:D

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

IMO, it's not a ploy. You're in S. Carolina. I've been there a few times in summer, on the coast and inland, and that is weather that plays with necks. The weather may seem like it hasn't changed to you, but I'll bet that bass hasn't been outside the store for a long time. And it's never been in your house.

You shouldn't have to "hope" they don't charge you. Give`em a buzz, mention you just bought this thing from them and a couple strings indicate the instrument wasn't set up properly, and ask them what's a good time to bring it in so you can get it back a.s.a.p. Tell them you called about it before and forgot to make sure there would no charge for this.

Not having owned a Ray, I don't know if action adjustment tools come with them. If you know they do, I'd demand they get them.

In short, be diplomatic but firm.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think you need to learn how to do minor setup things like this yourself. I mean - I live in a fairly moderate climate but there is still a need from tim to time to change the setup to keep it in ideal condition. Plus every time I change the strings there is always a slight difference which needs correcting.

Some of the basses I have bought have included tools, but I think it's worth investing in something like the "GuiTool" or "Roadie Wrench" which are small tools which include everything you need to setup a guitar or bass - sort of like a Swiss Army Knife for Guitars.

I often find that the action has changed at times when you can't go back to the shop - like just before a large outdoor gig - so the sooner you get to learn to do these things yourself the better!! ;)

5. Bruce is right, once you've done it a time or two, you'll be an expert. The tools required are totally minimal, and the SetUp forum will supply all the answers. The store should do it for free, but better to do it yourself. Rays have one of the best necks in the business, so it wont shift too much, even with climatic changes.

6. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    What are those things, more precisely? (website, pic...?):confused:

7. Gman

Gman

Jan 4, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    My Stingray 5 didn't come with any tools either. I called Beaver at Bass Central and asked him about it. He said Ernie Ball didn't include tools, but he sent me an Allen wrench for the bridge, and that's really about all you need. The same wrench can be used for the neck adjustments.

Roadie Rench

Dave

8. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    that sounds kinds sketchy. At the store i go to they included all the tools, strap, cleaning cloth, and they threw in some neck oil. they also set up my truss rod and adjustments for as long as i owned the bass. I bought a spector from them 2 years ago and they still set up the action and such if i ask them, for free.

9. Bruce Lindfield

Nope - it appears that their website is under construction :

www.roadierench.com

10. Bruce Lindfield

NO wait - I just realised I was spelling it wrong in searches - here's a pic :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Well.. I used to do all the adjustments on my steinberger... but it was different.. all you need for the steiny are allen wrenches.. i have plenty of those.. My stingray came with an allen wrench to adjust the height of the strings on the bridge.... I did tell them on the phone what my problem was.. they just said bring it in.. I really just want to buy the tools to do it myself.. You know how the bridge on the stringray has that metal piece that kind of overhangs over the screws?? i'm worried that will get in my way and somehow or another, i will scratch up my finish... i don't want to do that...:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Peace

12. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    hmm.. i guess the topic might belong somewhere else... my bad