Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question About My New Spector.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Oxblood, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Hey everyone, my brand new Legend 4 Spector is coming Tuesday :hyper: and I have a couple questions. How is the hardware (tuners, bridge, etc.) on Spectors? I've never played one before or even seen one in real life so im not sure how good of quality they are. My second question is if the hardware could be better, would you recommend putting in a Hipshot A-Type Bridge? I got one on my fretless jazz and I just love it. Thanks for all your help.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The bridge is a very unique design, and it is very sturdy. No need replacing. Tuners work well too.

3. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Cool, thanks.

4. ducaticarl

ducaticarl

Oct 16, 2005
    HELLSPAWN huh????any connection to a certain comic?

5. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Only gripe I have about Spectors ( at least the Q4) is that you will most probably have to change the jack at least once.
    I have even tried brand new ones at the store and had the jack crackling away. Not a huge deal but a pain.....

6. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    The hardware is great! In fact I've rarely ever seen such good hardware on a cheap bass. The finish is really weak and scratches/dents easily. The jack will go bad on you, mine did after a few months. and mine came with faulty wiring, I've gone through about 4 batteries in 1 year and I'm only having it fixed now. You can't argue the tone and playability or price.

7. darkfish01

darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    I've had my Spector Performer since May and the only problems I encountered were that the strap pins came loose, but that's because of my crappy straplock system. I'm suprised to hear about the input jack, I've had no problems with it. The strings haven't even needed replacing, which is amazing. I'm hooked on Spectors now. :bassist:

8. I've had that problem with mine. I'm considering getting a locking jack installed and while I'm at it get an Aguilar obp3 installed. May need some additional drilling. Hope it is worth the money. I love how it sounds now, but I'm just so curious as to if it could sound better.

9. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I have a Euro 4 and have no complaints about the hardware. No problem with the jack, bridge is solid and beefy, and the tuning machines are sturdy and smooth. The only downside is that the preamp is way too hot and overdrives my amp's input stage if I don't keep the pickup volume below half.

10. tripb19

tripb19 Camel - Camel

Jun 18, 2005
    Melbourne, Aus
    I've had the exact same experience too :meh:

11. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Thanks for all the help guys. I think im gonna look into getting a new better jack for it, and buy it and keep it handy just incase. Maybe a locking Neutrik Jack like CaptainHueso was talking about, that would be reall nice.