1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

question about my One spot daisy chain

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by OrangeSun, Jul 30, 2007.

1. OrangeSun

OrangeSun

Jun 26, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Hello all

I've got a 1 spot powering some of my pedals, but theres one unused plug on the chain. Could this cause any problems or should it be fine. Also, can a one spot add noise to the line with certain pedals? just wondering, thanks.

2. speak_onion

speak_onion

Jun 22, 2007
    Queens, NY
    An empty plug on a 1spot should be fine.

Using more than 1 Line6 tonecore pedal in a chain will add lots of noise. Actually using 1 tonecore adds some noise, but using 2 makes it unusable.

3. vtwo

vtwo

Dec 16, 2006
    Connecticut
    Yes, it can add noise with some pedals.

The unused plugs should be covered with electrical tape, but people say that duct tape/other tapes work fine too.

4. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    an un-used plug is not really a problem as long as it does not touch the metal chasis of any of your pedals. Otherwise it could create a short circuit, turning off your 1Spot until you correct this. You could cover it with electrical tape which is fine in the short run, but can get gummy and messy if you ever decide to get another pedal and want to use that plug. (most old electrical tape = yuck) You could go to the hardware store and look for some little plastic or rubber caps that would fit over the barrel of the plug. What I did before I got enough pedals to use all of the plugs on my 1Spot was to get a small strip of velcro and stick the un-used plugs to the board away from any pedals and from each other. It also does not matter which plug is currently un-used either. (that is to say, un-used plug then pedals, or pedals than un-used plug at the end of the chain, or un-used plug randomly somewhere in the middle of the chain.)

As stated above, according to Visual Sound, the 1Spot does have problems with some pedals which will create noise. The Line6 Tonecore pedals being at the top of the stack. I have also read that the Electro-Harmonix Nano Clone has noise issues with a daisy chain. I am not sure which other pedals have this problem, but none of the pedals that I own have these problems.

5. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Oh, it's not noise - it simply won't power up at all with other pedals in the chain - only by itself or with pedals that feature positive grounds (like the Nano Muff and certain boutique fuzz pedals, plus others).

It needs an isolated power supply, battery, or its own wall wart.

6. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    Ah. I stand corrected! :D

The only Nano Clone that I tried out was hissy as all get-out. The effects dept. guy and I tried powering it with the EH power supply, a 1Spot, a Dunlop DC brick, and finally a battery. Still sounded like there was a pissed off cat stuck in the box, even when bypassed. I'm still trying to find a cooler chorus to replace my DigiTech one... :meh:

7. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Yeah, it has natural hiss... that's a whole different story. :smug:

(And rather annoying, too...)