Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about my Sansamp BDDI as a "Y" box

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by unity bass, Jan 17, 2006.

1. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    Does anyone see anything wrong with using my SABDDI as a "Y" box?
    I want to go into two separate rigs at the same time.
    My idea is one line out the output jack and the other out the parallel out jack.

I haven't tried it yet and I was wondering if anyone has.

Thanks,

Chad

2. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    The parallel output gives you the uneffected signal. It is directly routed after the input. So, no Sansamp sound here.

3. +1.

Although running a wet signal to one rig and a dry one to another sounds like a very reasonable idea to me.:D :D

4. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    The other problem is matching levels between the two outputs if you have an older BDDI.

5. Presumably you could take care of the balance issue on the input and/or output stages of the respective rigs being used?:meh:

6. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    That's what I'm doing but just using a Y cable. Running unaffected to my BMax, the effects to a Peavey tube pre then to the seperate channells of the power amp. It's working very well. Especially when I use the wah...it cuts out the bassbut the 212 keeps the low end...so really I don't even notice a thing.

7. Rumzini:

Love it!! :D :D

8. PhilMan99

PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    Only if you get "hum". I used a Digitech "Bass Squeeze" to do that at one point, and got terrible hum. This may be an issue if you have to use "unbalanced" 1/4" instrument-cables to plug-in to your amps (or if that is all the SansAmp has).

I picked-up an "EbTech Hum-eliminator", which has issolation transformers. Cuts levels a bit (it ideally works at studio-level +4dB), but worked fine for my purposes.

9. The "older" SABDDI certainly has an effected xlr output, an effected 1/4 Jack output and an uneffected 1/4 Jack output.

10. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I should have paid more attention to this thread the first time around instead of starting a new one.

I would like to replace my Peavey tube pre...the BDDI can be used as a preamp correct?

As stated above I run my bass to my tuner...then split the signal via Y cable. One is routed to a BMax>Amp Channel 1>212. The other is run through my effects pedals>Peavey>Amp Channel 2>410.

The reason for the set up is the wah pedal. It's the best I found, IMO, that cut the least amount of low end. However with the way this is wired no low end is cut 'cuz the BMax is carrying it.

Anyways...I'm thinking this...

Bass>tuner>BDDI....one signal to the BMax>Amp Ch. 1>212
    the other signal goes to the effects>Amp Ch.2

Will this work? And with the BDDI...I get an extra distortion correct? When you step on that button it goes from clean to dirty correct?

11. SubMonkey

SubMonkey

May 3, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Works nicely for me...

12. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Whoa! Way cool picture. Where'd ya get that?
    OK..but you are going into a head. I have a 2 channel power amp. By placing the BDDI before the effect will I still get the proper signal; to the power amp. Basically the BDDI would be my preamp for one channel....the way it's set up now the pre amp is after the effects.

13. Do you've got a pic of that rig? Nice combo. Happy with the cabinet?

14. SubMonkey

SubMonkey

May 3, 2004
    Denver, CO
    My wah pedal is a 30 year old CryBaby and it sucks a lot of low end from the signal (even when not engaged). That and the same problem with most distortion boxes (low end loss) is how I ended up with the split/recombined signal chain.

The effected 1/4 inch out from the BDDI (set to a _relatively_ clean tone) carries most of the low end that the CryBaby and the GT2 absorb. these are re-combined by the Whirlwind a/b/y box. (Nifty illustrations thanks to TB'er Petary in this, now locked thread ... http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=212609&highlight=geek) The BDDI does have distortion on board, but it never really gets buzzy... mild overdrive at best.

Here's a rather unflattering pic of the rig from a few months ago. (more recent action pix at the link in my signature)
    Frankly, it's a great cabinet, absolutely excessive and unnecessary low end response. It's a bear to move at 167 pounds and a 24"x24" footprint, but I play 1 to 2 gigs a week these days, and still find the sound of this thing to be worth the effort. :D

SM