Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about my Sunn rig...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matt Till, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Reposting the pics because... well I'm stoked :smug: But I swear, I have a question to go with it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and the always needed photoshopped to look artsy pic:
    [​IMG]

Annnnyway. The head is a Sunn Sonic I from 68, and my question is this: Is it possible to sound NOT overdriven? It's really weird, whenever I turn the volume past 3, I get that tube drive sound. It's really awesome and heavy, and I'm in a band that totally appreciates that tone... but what do I do when I'm working outside of the band? Hope they like overdriven bass?

2. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Very nice Sunn rig buddy I'll toss mine up after my answer :p

What are your settings? The Sonic I/II is actually a guitar head so it's more apt to overdrive as I can't get my Sorado to overdrive until I hat the volume to around 7

[​IMG]

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

That is the reason I sold mine :meh: at 60 watts, you'll need to run it @ 2 and stick a mic on the cab to stay clean.

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Right on, that works for me. I'm not really concerned with a clean sound right now.

Strangely enough, the Sonic I is listed as a bass amp at the Sunn Shack. My guitar w/a rat pedal gets the greatest guitar tone though.

5. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    This is why I need a plurality of heads - for me, a Fender Bassman 100 for that driven sound, and a GK400 for everything else. But I'm sure your Classic 400 does both. :)

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

it doesn't do what a 100 watt tube head does... but it does everything else I need it too.

7. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    The Sonic I is a bass amp, and was normally paired with a single D140 cab. It should have EL34's and be rated at 40 watts, so it won't be as loud as it's bigger brothers. There are rumors that they came with 6550's after '68. I haven't heard or seen one, and can't even find the Sonic listed after '68 in any Sunn literature I've seen including in a '69 full line catalog.
    It should hold together until 5-6 and start really breaking up around 7-8. How strong are your power tubes? If they are fresh, the culprit may be the filter caps. If the can cap is original it almost undoubtably needs to be replaced. Even brand new the 525VDC can cap is being pushed at the limit or beyond design spec, it's possible but unlikely that it would survive 38 years. There are upgraded PC filter sections available that will fix it right up and correct the shortcomings of the original design. While you are in there you should probably change all the caps, they're cheap and can cause serious (expensive) damage if they go bad.

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

You lost me at D140. :D

Seriously, I know nothing about tubes and maintance there of. Any websites on the subject. (The guy I bought it from said he put alot of work into it... he told me some, I just nodded like I knew what he meant).

9. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    In that case, get it to a technician. Some components in there are not as strong as they should be. Get that fixed, and it should be much more pleasing.

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Right on, I don't plan on being an expert, but seriously, are there any good websites that can get me a basic understanding?

11. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Check the back and if they are 6550 tubes you should be able to toss some KT88 tubes in to get extra headroom without needing to bias.

JJ has some great KT88 tubes

http://www.eurotubes.com has asome good info and you can ask the owner questions and he will be able to tell you whatever you need to know.

12. billparks

billparks

Feb 3, 2006
    This takes me back... I had a Sunn 200s w/the 2 JBL 15" D 140 cab. Bought it new in 68. The interesting thing was the D140's kept blowing and I wasn't overdriving them, I went through 6 pairs under warranty, they replaced the head twice and finally replaced the entire Speaker cabinet instead of swapping blown speakers for fresh.

For some reason the new cabinet never had a blown spkr. I do remember the rig having a pretty dirty sound at eleven.