Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about neck stability on Rics

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by babecker, Apr 20, 2002.

1. babecker

babecker

Mar 7, 2002
    Sykesville, MD
    I'm looking into getting a Rickenbacker 4001/4003 and have heard a few (apparently isolated) problems that people have had with the neck, so I'm trying to get a read on how reliable they are in reality. If you have (or have had) a Ric 4001 or 4003 (4 string), please just drop a quick line or two concerning your experiences with the Ric neck. Thanks a lot!

2. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    I have had my 4001 for about 15 years, played it a lot, and I have never experienced any neck problems. A very solid and reliable bass.

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I've had my 1981 4001 for nine months now, and the neck hasn't budged a bit since I set it up. It's actually more stable than the graphite reinforced neck on my 1999 Fender AmStd Jazz.

Just remember - don't try to adjust a 4001 neck flatter by just cranking down the trussrod nuts. You need to "assist" the neck into position, then snug the nuts down. The 4003 doesn't require this precaution.

4. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    I own a 1972 Rickenbacker 4001. She turned 30 yrs old this month. The neck is perfect and always has been!!
    I don't need to say anymore.
    Cheers,

5. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    For what my experience is worth, you highlighted THE difference between a 4001 and a 4003.

I previously owned two 4001's, and though I was not very careful with them, I never experienced the least neck problem. I NEVER had to adjust the rod.

Now I am the owner of a 4003, and I already had to have the neck adjusted, though I never changed anything in the strings gauge and always kept the bass in reliable conditions (temperature, etc.).

Though the "reinforced" neck system is the same on 4003's as well as on 4001V63's or 4001CS's, it seems this problem is specific of 4003's.

If I find the cash to get a 4001V63 or a 4001CS, I'll get it then sell my 4003 with no regrets.

Hope this helps,

6. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    I've owned 4001's and have never had to readjust the neck once i had done it to suit my needs.
    I currently own two 4003's and my experience with them is that once they are a couple of years old adjustments aren't required anymore. My '91 needed pretty regular tweaking (about every 3 months) for about two years then I haven't touched it since. And my '98 only took about a year for me to get it settled in (but it was hanging in a store for almost a year). I don't know why they would need more adjustments when new but they have been rock solid for me since through pretty varying and sometimes harsh conditions.

7. I have a '76 4001, bought in the mid-80s and have played it very infrequently. I keep it in its case with full tension on the strings and I've never had a problem with the neck.

8. Owned a 1974 4001, played and abused it. neck stayed true the whole time. Had some minor problem with one of the Gover machine heads, though.