Question about neck widths on ext. range basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by urobolus, May 31, 2005.

1. urobolus

May 31, 2005
    Hey everyone,

I'm currently a 6-stringer who has convinced his friends to start a bass-centric band with the bass as the lead instrument backed up by a bass clarinet (so far it sounds great) and some rythm guitar and harmonica work. And no, it's not nu metal, but more eclectic rock. A mix between Dave Matthews(minus the annoying over-exposure, hyper-popularity he's gotten) and Bill Dickens (minus a good amount of talent that he has and I don't), you could say.

However, now that the bass has taken center stage, I want to increase the range on it. I'm thinking of taking the jump to an 8 or 9 string. However, I don't want to blindly do it, and I also don't want to bother Bill Conklin or the boys over at Warrior or Adler Guitars with dumb questions.

So could anyone just tell me what the average neck width for a 9-string guitar would be at the base and the head? I've seen many pictures, but I don't know how the size of the players' hands in the pictures compare to mine. I know they're custom built, so the width is not uniform, but I figure JT or Jauqo could give me an estimate.

And also, just for fun, does anyone know the width of the neck, base and head, of that Goodman 11-string? That's a bit much for me, but whatever works for you works.

rock on, guys. :bassist:
  2. adlerguitars

Nov 15, 2003
    Beaumont, CA
    All builders have different strings spacings they like and most are willing to do custom string spacings for their customers.

That being said... I have a couple of 9's in the works that are 3" wide at the nut and 4.5" wide at the 24th fret. I don't know Jauqo's 8 string widths off the top of my head (I'd have to go look it up), but again this varies from customer to customer.

Garry's 11 string is 3.75" wide at the nut and 6" wide at the last fret.

3. Mike's new 9 is a GORGEOUS instrument. I saw it just before he was going to shoot the finish and add the hardware. Someone out there is going to be stoked to have this bass!! I hope it will be making its public appearance soon!!! Mike is HOT too. :)

4. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    As Mike said, most of these basses are custom built so I wouldn't say that there is any "standard". However, it would be safe to assume that anything above a 7 string would probably be at least 3"-3.25" at the nut and nearing 4" + at the last fret. If you're looking for some really specific info, I wouldn't hesitate to contact the builders ... you'll find them to be quite happy to answer any questions you may have (Mike is a great example :cool: ). Additionally, lots of ERB players can be found at .... stop in when you get a chance ;)