Question about new Ampeg 15" combos

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Headroom, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Headroom

Apr 5, 2002
    This is for Jerrold Tiers at Ampeg, or anyone else who may know. According to a press release on Ampeg's website, the company will be introducing two new combo amps. Both the B200R and the BA115HPT will have a 220 watt solid state amplifier and a preamp containing a 12AU7 tube. My question is how much commonality is there in the electronics of these amplifiers? Thanks
  2. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    well, I don't think ampeg would waste their time and make two combos that look different, but sound the same.

I would assume the b200r would have a richer/rounder sound, maybe they would use a different speaker than their modern standard.

Anaheim, Calif.—January 19, 2006, NAMM: Ampeg is pleased to introduce a new model into its popular Diamond Blue Series of combo bass amps—the B200R.

Like the current Ampeg B100R combo amp, the new B200R draws upon the legacy of the famous Ampeg Portaflex “Flip Top” from the 1960s, combining the sound, feel, and tone of this classic amplifier with solid-state technology for light weigh and maintenance-free reliability.

But the B200R takes this successful combination to the next level by adding a 12AU7 preamp tube for additional warmth, as well as balanced XLR output with level control and 220 watts of power driving a custom-designed 15-inch Eminence driver. In addition to the tube and power increase, Ampeg has also equipped the B200R with a Piezo high-frequency component for additional punch and tonal clarity and at the upper end.

Both the B100R and the new B200R feature four bands of EQ, plus Ultra Low, Ultra Mid, and Ultra High switches for fine-tuning your sound.

I would have hoped that they would have remedied the only flaw, at the time, of the B100r....lack of speaker extention output. but they didn't, apparently :bawl: I love the tube pre idea.
  3. Headroom

Apr 5, 2002
    Since the BA115HPT uses a 1'' driver rather than a Piezio tweeter, I wouldn't expect them to sound the same. So I think you're right Mcrelly, the differences are more than just packaging. However, it has been stated on this site by Psycho Bass Guy that the amplification section of the B-15R combo is identical to the V4BH amplifier, so I was curious.
  4. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    They do it with their heads all the time. :meh:
  5. Headroom

Apr 5, 2002
    One bump and then I'll let her drift off into sweet oblivion.
  6. steve21

steve21 Banned

If it's anything at all similar to the BA115HP, it's not very good tonally at all... at least IMO.
  7. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001

My B100-R has some unfilled holes in the circuit board. I always assumed it was the same as the BA100 (whatever) combo. Nothing wrong with that, just good business I'd say.
  8. If you like the Ampeg tone, (I'm addicted to the point that there is no other for me) then the BA115HPT is a great choice in that power/features slot. It's plenty loud, not as much as 350 watts, say and a full stack, but still plenty loud. Mine likes being pushed. The key thing about the tube pre is that adjusting the gain allows a really big difference in tone. Below five it's clean and jazz-worthy. Above, you start to get the characteristic Ampeg grit.
    I am, again, really really pleased with mine and so glad I got it. For what it's worth, I wouldn't have jumped at getting the all solid state design HP. I wish I could compare it with a B200r and the B210.
  9. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    New Orleans, LA
    i own the b200r. great amp, great tone if you like the old school vintage vibe.