Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

question about "new basses"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by calirock, May 14, 2005.

1. a few months ago i went to a local shop to check out some bass guitars..long story short decided to pick up one..it was a stingray..same price as every retailer...i said cool give me a new one so he took it off the display/floor model rack and put it in a case...no discount no nothing..to me thats not a new bass..thats a floor model..he wouldnt budge on the price so i just left...am i in the wrong for thinking new is NOT the floor model? thanks in advance for replying

2. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada

The bass in question is a floor model. HOWEVER if nobody played the bass, I would consider it new (if it was kept in a display case, behind glass). Having worked in retail for probably over 15 years now, I would say that anything that any other customer has touched/"used" would be considered a floor model.

He may not feel like you deserve a discount for it..., or that just because it's on the floor, it is still NEW... BUT if I were paying full price for an item, I would want it to come fresh out of a box INFRONT of my eyes, with sealed packing tape!

So maybe what is considered "new" or "floor model" doesn't matter. BUT that you feel, and I agree, paying for somethinig full price, deserve sealed retail packaging.

3. e-money

e-money

Apr 20, 2005
    at all the shops i have been to thats how it works. it seems most places don't keep much of anything off the floor. if the bass in mint i don't see the problem, but if its got dings or anything i would not go for it.

4. i would never know how many experienced or inexperienced hands used or abused it...he said it doesnt look "used" therefor its new..i just laughed and left

5. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    You can probably get a better price from Bass Central, Bass Northwest, Low Down Sound, The Low end, Access bass....etc anyway. Give patronage to guys on this board.

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Well.....

...in a perfect world, yes.

But not all shops are big enough to keep boxed basses or guitars on hand. I would expect to deal on a price wether it's boxed or not...if there was playwear or any other kind of damage to the bass I'd expect a price cut. If not, well, I'd still expect to work on the price. Most of the places I've bought instruments haven't had backstock, and what you play is what you get. This is good in a lot of ways too...because instruments of the same model can vary in playability and sound drastically. I also expect a store to treat different instruments differently. If it's a $1500 bass, it should not be easily accessible to the casual shopper (up on the wall, behind a counter), this cuts down on general traffic wear that you see on a $300 bass.

If the shop wouldn't even discuss pricing and gave you no opening to do so, I'd think twice about buying...but I'd also expect you should do some homework when you go in with a serious offer. By this I mean you should have researched pricing, and maybe printed out lower prices, so that you have proof of other retailer's pricing. I'd spend time looking over the instrument, so that you can point out each flaw when you're trying to get your price. It's much easier to say, "this part is wrong/worn I'm going to have to spend x dollars to get that fixed" than say "well, yeah but um I kinda want a cheaper price cuz its a bit scruffy".

A good educated bid is a great response to an indifferent retailer. Also...work your way up the food chain...not getting satisfaction from that sales associate? Ask for a manager or owner...they have more discretionary power than a hired hand.

7. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Lots of music retailers keep most (if not all) of their stock on the floor so you can see it. I have no problem unless it's been damaged. Heck, you're getting a new bass warranty with it so what's the big deal?

8. +1

I don't see the big deal at all. When you go buy a new car, do you expect them to take it out of the shipping crate in the back room to bring it to you?

9. i dont know..i guess its piece of mind knowing its fresh out of the box..otherwise i could get a used one with no wear as well for half the price on here

10. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    +1

:)

There you go. That's always been my policy. You can get a better bass for less money if you're not hung up on new. Most real players don't abuse a bass, and the people around here for the most part are good and knowledgeable about basses. I'm not so sure about the 'peace of mind' thing, since basses will fail right outta the box, and most parts that fail (pots etc.) are pretty easy to replace. There are a LOT of really nice instruments for sale right here...better selection than at most stores.

11. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    OK, if they were to stick a "playometer" (similar to the odometer to a car sitting on the lot) that registered every time the instrument was played I might agree with you. As it is there is no way to know how much use any particular instrument has received. If you go to buy a new car and notice the odometer reads 1000+ or so miles from people test driving it, you rightly expect a discount. Doesn't matter if it appears in mint condition with full warranty or not, it's used. Whether it was sold before it was used or not is not relevant. It is still used.