Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about new pickups and grounding

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Niskamies, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    I've got a Fender jazz with two fender single coil jazz bass pickups. There is a metal plate that goes from the bridge pickup to the bridge? What is that?

I am thinking of changing the pickups to Sadowsky hum-cancelling pickups, so do they need the metal plate? At least I haven't seen the metal plate in any Sadowsky bass. And as I said, the bass is a Fender jazz, the Jaco Pastorius model.

Thanks!

2. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    The little metal strip from the bridge to the bridge pickup cavity? That connects the bridge to the bridge pickup cavity shield, which connects to the control cavity shield, which connects to the tone pot case and thence to ground.

Yes, you want to keep it, even with hum-cancelling pickups.

Sadowskys and most modern Fenders have a route directly from the bridge to the control cavity, and they use a wire to ground the bridge. Original Jazz Basses and the Jaco bass just have the strip from bridge to bridge pickup cavity. Some '62 RI Jazzes have the ground wire but also include the metal strip for those who want their basses to look like a real vintage bass (for these RIs, the strip is cosmetic).

You'll only want to remove the bridge ground if the bass is fully shielded. The stock cavity shield plates don't really shield that well, and you'll definitely want the bridge grounded.

3. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    The metal strip just goes under the bridge, don't know if it is just cosmetic. Maybe I should take the bass to a technician when I get the pups, don't know.

4. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    It's not just cosmetic on the Jaco. Leave it in place.