1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question about Nordstrand and 6 string basses

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Sauron_, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Hi there!

If you were building a 6 string PASSIVE bass guitar and you had to choose a Nordstrand model for it, which one would you choose?

(other brands allowed ;) )

EDIT:
    I'm going on 54mm nut and 16.5mm string spacing at the bridge, will any Nordstrand fit that? any other brand fits that string spacing? (not EMG, it fits but I already have an active 6 stringer with active EMG's, I'm looking for a passive, more organic, sound-of-the-wood...)

2. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Big Singles.

Got 'em.
    Love 'em.

3. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand Commercial User

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    what sound you're looking for..... woods? pups placement? ......

4. slaerts

slaerts

Aug 3, 2006
    I'm planning my first custom, once I get the cash of course, I am looking at a 6 string passive bass as well. I'm after a slight musicman growl so I will be looking for MM pickups, I'll be very interested in the oppinions of others in this thread too.

5. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner Commercial User

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner
    Huge +1

6. 3506string

3506string

Nov 18, 2004
    Lawton, OK
    I guess it depends on what sound your after. They do a good job describing the different tone of the Dual coils, Fat Stacks, and the Big Singles on the product page. If your going nordstrand, because of the exposed poles pieces I think you have to stay close to the 18mm spacing. As far as other 6 string passives there are
    Delano Dual Coils
    EMG Hz
    Bartolini Split, Dual, and Quad Coils
    Kent Armstrong
    Ken Smith
    Q tuner

7. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    I'd probably ask for a custom NJ6SV and MM6.2 - they've been known to custom-build those, albeit you'd probably have to get your own covers.

Alternatively, a set of Double Coils would work awesome, because with a bit of wiring know-how you would be able to switch between a lot of options:
    • single neck - single bridge
    • single neck - humbucker bridge
    • humbucking neck - humbucking bridge
    • humbucking neck - single bridge

If you want versatility, making a "switch city" could let you really create a bass with plenty of variety.
    If you want a simple, yet good tone - well, my sixer is J-neck/HB-bridge and I absolutely LOVE the tone.

8. slaerts

slaerts

Aug 3, 2006
    I have the Bart quads in my peavey VI and love them, each pickup with a series/single coil/parallel toggle. I have just pulled the obp-3 out and they sound much better without them. I'll prob end up with a J bridge and a mm for my custom.

9. Ummm...I would use a 54mm nut and 16.5mm string spacing at the bridge...those Big Singles will fit that?

Thank you!

10. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    The spacing is a pretty huge fact you didn't disclose when you said you were considering Nordstrands.

You could try the Roscoe LG route and slant them.

11. Yeah, you're right...
    I think I should change the post...

12. 3506string

3506string

Nov 18, 2004
    Lawton, OK
    Well nordstrand's description say they are made for standard spaced 6 strings with 18mm center to center at the bridge which would be a span of 90mm total. With 16.5 you will only have a span of 82.5 mm at the bridge and of course they narrow a little over the pickups so they will probably be off enough to affect the performance. Because the norstrands use pole pieces instead of blades the spacing needs to be close to the recommended string spacing to get optimum performance.
    nordstrand_fs.

13. Yeah, it seems I should look after other brands...

Any suggestion?

14. i have heard and played and serviced a few custom 6 with nordstand in them...

the pickups are so good that active preamps do them harm... at least to my ear... they sound awsome by themselfs

15. Actually, you might want to contact Nordstrand, they may be able to custom make a set with the correct spacing.

16. As I'm still making the bass on a paper, I think I will remake all the widths to put that Big Single pickups, they sound awesome (Saw one vid on youtube).

17. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand Commercial User

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    On single coils you can have any string spacing you want (15mm and up). With splits it is more delicate...

contact the shop.

M

18. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    Definitely contact the shop. I ordered some dual coils for my David King custom 6 and Carey's shop did a wonderful job mating them to my bass, including making custom wenge covers (to match the neck/fingerboard).

Attached Files: