Question about nut installation

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jwilson67, Feb 23, 2017.

1. jwilson67

jwilson67

Jun 2, 2015
    San Dimas, CA
    A few years ago I tried to remove the nut on an ESP Jazz bass with an ebony fingerboard. Long story short I broke the fingerboard off at the nut but only after the fingerboard (between the tuners and the nut) so the actual fretboard is fully intact. Like an idiot I lost the piece of wood with the old nut still glued to it.
    I want to install a new Tusq nut on the bass. My question is will glue alone be enough to hold it or do I need to reinforce it with something? If I do need to reinforce it any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. jwilson67

jwilson67

Jun 2, 2015
    San Dimas, CA
    FYI - I have already sanded the remaining ebony down to the maple of the neck and made a flush surface for the nut to rest against the ebony board.

3. Manton Customs

Manton Customs UK Luthier

Jan 31, 2014
    Shropshire, UK
    Luthier, Manton Customs
    Nothing else needed, lots of guitars/basses have that setup (nothing on one side of the nut). You don't even need much glue, string tension will hold it in place to a large degree.

jwilson67 likes this.
  4. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    The nut will have to be a slightly different shape, though. It's basically been converted from needing a Fender style nut to a Gibson style one.

jwilson67 likes this.
  5. jwilson67

jwilson67

Jun 2, 2015
    San Dimas, CA
    Thanks! Good to know. Now all I have to do is file the nut down to correct height.

Already got it. Going to be interesting to see how it works out. I'll let you know the results. The wider Tusq nut seems like it's going to be an improvement anyway.

6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Saint Louis, MO USA
    You probably don't want to shape the nut square. You'll want the wider base, but it should thin toward the top. Fancy would be to arc it, but a straight taper (trapezoid from the side view) would be fine too.

7. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Here's what it should look like:

Mill5NutRepair_zps825f78d6.jpg