1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Question about Nuts

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by isher1992, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Harhar.

Anyway. I ordered a Bronco bass body off of eBay that I plan to build a Frankenstein bass out of.

I was thinking about converting it to 8-string using a 32 scale length P-bass neck with 4 locking guitar tuners from Allparts and Hipshot Bass tuners. My question is about the nut.

I was looking at pre-cut to see if any options were availible for an 8-string octave, and I came across the Warwick Just-A-Nut 3, which comes in an 8-string form. It says it fits a 38.5mm nut width.

http://shop.warwick.de/index.php/ca...A44513&collection_id=D0813442001341561516A689

There's a link to it.

I measured my P-bass nut width this morning, and it looked to be about 40mm. Would this nut be able to fit on a P-bass neck for an 8-string conversion? It looks longer than a standard P-bass neck nut, so I would have to do some filing/sanding to fit, but the width is what I'm concerned about.

2. Bump.

3. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Id think itd be better to just have a tech custom cut the nut for you from a blank nut. Also I'm not a fan of the adjustable nuts. Read to many problems on them.

4. The guy I normally go to charges near 100 for a new nut to be cut and added.

I don't know of any other places around here that do that.

5. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    100 for a nut is crazy. The most I ever paid was $50.

6. I kinda thought that too. He's a great guy. I've gone to him for everything. Except nut work. Aside from that, he's fairly low priced.

7. lethargytartare

lethargytartare

Sep 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Basically it seems like you'd end up with narrow string spacing at the nut than the width of your neck would allow...so a 40mm nut would probably be a better result. The smaller nut would have gaps on the ends -- not a problem, but it would look a bit off, maybe. And if it's designed for 8 strings, it's probably reasonably spaced for the job -- but I'd probably prefer a wider nut for 8 strings.

And then there's the cost...

Sounds like a great project for you to cut your teeth on making a nut. Don't get bone -- get chunks of corian, maybe ebony, plexiglass, whatever, and some needle files. You should be able to take a few stabs at it for pretty cheap (MUCH cheaper than that warwick nut). Then you'll either hate the result and effort so much that the price of the j-a-n will be worth it to you, or maybe you'll make a nut that you're happy with.

Personally, I'd try to make my own before spending that much on a pre-made one that I know, going in, won't fit exactly.

Good luck!
    ltt

8. Thanks, I was beginning to consider making my own nut. We already have some needle files (metallurgy's a big hobby of my dad's)

I would definitely make it out of Graphite versus bone. My Ibanez has a Graphite nut and even tuned BEAD, it holds tuning better than my EADG Squier. Not to mention I can get a Fender-sized blank for graphite off of Warmoth for only a dollar or so more than Corian, so it just seems like a winner.

I'm still a ways from doing that though, I have to wait for the body to arrive and I'm already sure I'm going to have some sanding and painting to do. Not to mention I have to buy the bridge and mount it--Just wanted to take some notes for later on in this project.