1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Question about Octave pedal circuit designs

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DDXdesign, Sep 15, 2017.

1. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    So, I was just thinking this recently and thought I should ask the expert collective...

Most analog octave pedals can send the clean through alongside the -1. This means that they're parallel in the circuit, at least for part of the path.

So, since analog octaves crap out on the low notes... What about a HPF in the octave branch of the circuit, so that the divider only receives the higher notes and the higher harmonics of the lower notes, to try to synthesize against? So if you play an open E, you won't have a mess under it. But the harmonic content could still trigger the octaver to reinforce your E with a hint of synthesized unison-note ... Maybe slope it off below A (55) or so.

Knowing my luck this idea has been tried and rejected or something. But I can't see how it wouldn't help.

Jop vS and That Coyote like this.
  2. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    Boss OC-3, Poly mode?

3. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    That doesn't do it, I think the range knob on that determines how *high* it goes, not how low. Plus, that's digital not analog.

That Coyote likes this.
  4. Jop vS

Jop vS

Aug 2, 2015
    Great idea, ZZ Top bass player Dusty Hill runs a separate channel with a high pass filter running into a EHX micro pog to achieve this.

Randy Ward likes this.
  5. Pacodelivery

Pacodelivery Supporting Member

May 25, 2014
    Baltimore
    I think some of this is already built into some octave pedal designs, as in, they filter the signal before allowing it to hit the pitch tracking element.