Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

question about ohms and watts

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by scourge, Aug 20, 2004.

1. I have an Ampeg B2R 350 watt head and two cabs. My amp is currently at our rehearsal space, so I'm doing this from memory.
    I believe my cabs are 8 ohms each, and my head pushes 200w at 8 ohms and 350w at 4 (or vice versa).
    My question is this: Am I pushing 350 with the two cabs plugged into the head or do I have to daisy-chain my cabs (They're not currently set up to do that, so I'm not even sure its possible).
    I was thinking that the power gets split if two cabs are plugged in, but my guitarist thinks I need to daisy chain the cabs. What's up?

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    It's 200 at 8 ohms, 350 at 4 ohms. Power on solid state amp usually goes up as the load impedance drops (but don't go below the minimum recommended load impedance or the magic smoke will leak out and you'll have no tone).

The speaker jacks in the B2R (and nearly all amps) are connected in parallel, as are the jacks on your cabinets.

It makes no difference wether you plug both cabinets directly into the amp or daisy chain them...unless of course you have really crappy speaker cables...but please don't run that risk.

3. So, if I have both 8 ohm cabs plugged into the amp, are they combining for 4 ohms or staying at 8 ohms apiece? I think 4.

4. i think they'll be combining so that they are 4 ohms. But either way you will be running the head at 350 watts so no problem. just make sure that both cabs u r using are 8 ohms becausre the b 2r cannot handle anythimg lower than 4 ohms. oh yeah and sorry for my spelling, i currently had surgery on my right hand so i ca only type with my lerft and im taking a lot of shortcuts i wouldn'y normally take.