Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about ohms, watts & biamping...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jmann, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Jmann

Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    I am now the proud oner of an ampeg SVT 5. Its (i think) 1000 watts into 4 ohms. I dont have a cab that will do that with out blowing up 1/2 of the town. Im thinking about an Aggie 412 (1200w 4 OHMs?), but i think the Ampeg has outputs for biamping. I have always loved the massave tone from biamping the lows to an 18. Could I use the aggie & a 4 ohm 18 sub for this? Would 2 Ohms be usable? Would this decimate the small town of Paintsville KY? Would it kill thousands & make dams break & cause general carnage every where?

Sorry about that... i took one of my spells...

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    If 2 Ohms is not usable, you can get the 412 in an 8 Ohm model. I'm pretty sure they make a 4 and an 8, as they have both on music123.com.

3. Jmann

Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    schweet... anybody wanna recomend an 18 that will be up for this task...

Oh, wait... will biamping run 1000 watts into both cabs or something along the lines of 500 to each?

4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I think the SVT-5 can run different wattages to different cabs, but I'm not sure. Also, I'm confused about the 412. On music123.com they have it 4 or 8 Ohms, but on the Aggie website its only 4... :meh:

5. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    The 8 ohm is custom order. I e-mailed aggy a while ago.

Honestly, With 4x12's, I don't think you'l need an 18. Maybe 18+2x12.. But the aggy 412 but it self can do any gig really, i've seen just one used in stadiums! Of course, theres also the factor of carrying around the 412 and the 18, which could get annoying.

Whatever you choose, good luck!

6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Yah the 412 is quite loud... but you gotta be prepared in case you have to do an outside stadium gig without any PA :D

7. Jmann

Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    thanks for the imput guys. i have decided to get just the aggie, and no 18.