Question about ohms

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FOE_Bass, Jul 21, 2001.

1. FOE_Bass

FOE_Bass Guest

Jun 29, 2000
    Grass Valley, CA
    If I have two cabs rated at 200w at 8ohms a piece, then will I need a head that can power 200w at 4ohms. What does per channel mean. Would that still be 8ohms per channel. I'm kind of confused.
  2. If you have two 8 ohm cabs at 200w appiece, you will want an amp that gives you 400 watts at 4 ohms. If it's per channel then you have a stereo amp. If it's per channel, then you match the cab to the channel and don't worry about combining cabs...
  3. basicly, per channel means that its a sterio power amp (two power amps). So, when it says "200w @ 4 ohms per channel" That means that the amp is able to run with 2 4ohms cabs safely, and that would put out a totall of 400 w (kinda sorta, it makes more sense if i call it that, when in reality its just two 200w sides.) So... if you run your two 8 ohms cabs on one side, then you will be putting out 200w. If you split them up, and run one 8ohms cab per side, it will be somthing like 120w per side (not exact, i dont remember the forumla to get the exact number)