question about old carvin bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by robbomut9, Feb 29, 2004.

1. robbomut9

Feb 21, 2004
    hi guys
    i bought a mid 80's (i think it was made then) carvin LB75 about 5 years ago and i have a question that i'm really ashamed to ask. there are 4 knobs on my bass, one is the volume, one is the pickups and the other two i have no idea what they are. i am pretty lame when it comes to this sort of stuff so any help would be appreciated. i'd like to know which knob does what if anyone knows. also, i had to put a new bridge on my bass about 2 years ago but as my ear has got better, i have noticed that some of the notes played past the 12th fret are slightly sharp. is this common? is there a way to fix it? thanks in advance guys.
  2. Minimaul

Jun 22, 2003
    Ask the people on the Carvin Forums. They are pretty smart and should be able to help you out. Or, there should be info on the LB75's on the main site too.
  3. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    If you can identify which configuration it is, based on the info here, it'll be easier to determine exactly what the setup is:
    carvin museum site bass ID page

This page will also help narrow down exactly what year your bass was made:
    Carvin Data Matrix
    See if you can find one that matches your bass.

My 80's Carvin has 4 knobs, but they are volume and tone for each p'up, with a switch for pickup selection. It's a mid-80's model.

Does yours take a battery? That'd help narrow it down too.

More than likely the other 2 knobs would be master treble, master bass. Could be tone pots for each pickup, but I don't know that Carvin wired anything that way back then.
  4. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Sounds like you might have an intonation problem. Try adjusting the screws in the bridge (move the saddles back) and check the neck to see that there is only a slight forward bow.
  5. robbomut9

Feb 21, 2004
    from the carvin museum page, it looks as though my model is early 90's. the 90-91 headstock looks like mine. my bass has gold hardware though. it does take a battery. thanks for your help.