1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question about Orange AD200B head...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MascisMan, Aug 31, 2008.

1. MascisMan

MascisMan Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    So its rated at 200 watts. Im assuming this is 4 ohms. What is the rating at 8 ohms?

2. I'm pretty sure it's the same. Most tube amps have the same wattage output at different resistance loads. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

3. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Then I have a question. Would the volume be identical with an Orange AD200 going through an 8 ohm cab as it would a 4 ohm cab (of the same manufacturer/model) since the wattage doesn't change?

4. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    yes of course

5. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Another question about the Orange AD200 and hooking up cabs.

On the back of the head there are 3 outputs. 2 read "4 ohms" and 1 reads "8 ohms".

If I am wanting to hook up two 8 ohm cabs, do I put 1 on the 8 ohm out and 1 on a 4 ohm out? Or do I put 1 into a 4 ohm out and daisy chain the other 1? Do I put both 8 ohm cabs into both 4 ohm jacks (which doesnt make much sense to me)?

I know how ohmage works. Two 8 ohm cabs is a 4 ohm load. Logically I would think there would be 2 "8 ohm" jacks (for 2-8 ohm cabs) and 1 "4 ohm" jack but its the opposite.

Thanks!

6. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I'm pretty sure you would run the two 4 Ohm outputs to two 8 ohm cabs creating a 4 ohm impedance...makes more sense - also, Orange brand cabs are rated at 8 Ohms each, so I would assume they're best paired with their own heads. Also, you'll get MORE volume using two 8 ohm cabs than a single 4 or 8 ohm cab.

Whoa, that was confusing...:confused:

...class dismissed...

7. jvdb

jvdb

Jul 26, 2006
    Good question, was wondering myself...

So if you'd use an Orange on a Ampeg 810 (4ohm) you'd take one of the 4 ohm outputs? And if you take things very literally, you'd think you could play it through 2 810's? You take the 2 4 ohm outputs right? (but this can't be right...)

Anybody who knows this from experience?

8. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    the amp is rated at 200w at 8 ohms and 200w at 4 ohms (hence the beginning of this discussion)

There isn't a listing for 2 ohms which makes me think the max I can go is 4 ohms. Thus creating the confusion over the two 4 ohm outputs.

9. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I think the two 4 ohm outputs mean using two 8 ohm cabs to create 4 ohms? Seems confusing, but I think that's what it means. Anyone with an AD200B running two cabs want to chime in? I've always wondered this...

10. dsDodgers

dsDodgers Banned

Sep 7, 2008
    sunny so cal
    this sounds right, i think the poster made it difficult because he didnt show the lay out of the input,

i think it looks like
    4 ohm............... 8ohm
    [] [] ................... []

so above each input it shows the total impedence, not what impedence cabs u should hook up

11. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    no.

It says "4 Ohms" twice (over two separate outputs). Then there is a third output that says "8 ohms". Unfortunately Orange doesn't have a manual on their site.

Here is a pic.

12. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal

This is correct.

13. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    a lot of mesa amps are the same way. one 8 ohm cab gets plugged into the 8 ohm jack. if you have two 8 ohm cabs, the total impedance is 4 ohms so they each get plugged into a 4 ohm tap.

14. fruit&herb man

fruit&herb man

Dec 15, 2006
    norway
    I've got an ad 200, and this is what I do. I'm shure i've read it somwhere too, but can't remember where. Maybe the orange forum? the two jacks marked 4 ohm are supposed to mean 4 ohm in total, either two 8 ohms or one 4 ohm cab