Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about original hardshell cases

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jazzbass72, Oct 31, 2004.

1. jazzbass72

jazzbass72

Jun 26, 2003
    New York, NY
    Dear fellow Talkbassers,
    I have a question for you guys.

I own a couple of vintage basses (1968 Fender Jazz Bass, 1978 Gibson Ripper, etc). I own the original hardshell cases for these basses as well.

I have recently moved to a place with very little storage space, so I am thinking of selling the original hardshell cases I previously mentioned, as I never take them out on a gig anyway (I prefer gig bags), so I pretty much have no use for them.

Now I am wondering, should I decide to sell those basses in the future, will their market value be considerably less than usual if they didn't come with the original case? Please enlighten me! I really need the extra room, but I don't want to do something I may regret in the future.

Best,
    Marco

2. In my experience, it isn't a big factor in value, although it's a very nice touch, and you can really claim to have everything that came with bass. I think you might regret it in the past, so I wouldn't sell them. Not that they have much value in themselves, but I just don't think it's worth selling them.

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    An antique appraiser will tell you that the original case, as all other original accessories you might still have, will only enhance the value of your instrument.

Of course, your basses are more than just antiques, but If they can have their value enhanced by being collectable, or at least desirable, it's a good idea to keep them as desirable as possible, if that makes any sense.

I'd be more reluctant to get rid of the Fender case instead of the Gibson one. Can't you slide them under your bed or something?

4. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Personally,I will not buy a Bass unless it has the OHSC. Can you store them at your parents house or a relative's house? Try your best to keep them.

5. I would not sell the OHSCs just for some quick bucks.

I am not a gig bag man, and I don't think I ever will be. I love cases. ;)

Mike

6. W/ OHSC. If it didn't make a difference there wouldn't be a common acronym. I wouldn't say not having the OHSC would be a deal breaker for me, BUT the original case with case candy can add up to major bank. If you want to be silly and sell the cases I'm sure there are lots of people who will handsomely pay for their previous mistakes or those of the previous owners. Just think about that when you eventually want to sell it.

Just for giggles, call a few vintage dealers, tell them you have a bass you'd like to sell, check the prices with and without case. You might shock yourself. (remember the dealer is going to lowball you as well)

BTW anyone have a 1979 Gibson case for a Thunderbird? Some moron got rid of the original one and it currently resides in a Hamer case. Yes, it's a better case, but it's not stock.... :crying:

7. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    If I were you, I would make room for those cases. Strap them to the ceiling, shove em under a bed, do anything you need to do, but hang on to the cases.