1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

question about Overloading a cab. (help please)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LowEnder2112, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Okay, so I have the 1001-RB II (700w) and i use it with my 4x10 and 1x15 GLX cabinets. With both, i have 700w power handling.

anyway, as some gigs require less or more sound, i decided both cabinets would be overkill for the smaller ones, so i decide it's best to bring only the 4x10 cabinet.

I've done this for a while in small bars, but on sunday this week, im bringing the 4x10 and my head to church because of a internal problem in the church ampeg 115. And im just wondering, since my head is 700 watts, and the 4x10 is only 400 watts, it is possible to overload the cabinet at a certain volume and cause damage to the cabinet?

all help appreciated. thanks so much. :)

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Only if you push the amp really hard, or wind up too much bass in the EQ.

A 700W amp doesn't put out 700 watts all the time. It probably puts out a third of that at typical gig levels, with the occasional jump up to it rated max when you play a hard note. Not to mention that 700W is the Maximum wattage output. Keep the levels reasonable and the actual wattage from the amp will be way less. Any unused watts create headroom and clarity on tone.

Also, eliminating one cab changes the system impedance, which therefore changes the maximum wattage the amp can produce. If the amp puts out 700w at 4 ohms, then with only one cab attached at an 8 ohms load, that same amp puts out more like 500w or thereabouts. 500w into a 400w cab suddenly doesn't sound so bad does it? It's a little bit over, but you should be OK.

3. OH yeah i forgot about that. (im new to the ohms stuff ive had a combo for so long and just got into my rig.)

ahh okay thanks for the help.

4. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    No offense but this has been covered many times in the past and there is a current thread that is relevant to your question here: Is there such a thing as too much power?

If you search using key words like overpower and underpower you will find the answer to every question on this topic.