Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

question about p/c

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by softscrubmonkey, Aug 23, 2005.

1. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    ok i searched and searched and found nothing on what im looking for about power conditioners. i know gernerally what they do, but i just wanted to know, would plugging all the bands stuff into a power conditioner versus all into wall outlets or normal power strips, do any good? would it do anything at all? i am considering a p/c for my rig and was just wondering if it would benefit the 3 other amps for the band.

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    It would do a lot less than the advertising hype would lead you to believe. However, running the entire band from a single breakout box is most beneficial in establishing a common ground point. The problem is that 20 amp outlets would not handle the kind of current draw required, and you'll more often than not find only 15 amp supplies. A breakout box wired to a 30 amp or better 220v source to provide at least 60 amps at 110v is the way the pros do it, but the likelyhood of having a 30 amp 220v box to plug it into in the average club is slight.

3. Yep, when the only available outlet is a receptacle that's already got a TV and a beer sign plugged into it...and this is the only power for the whole band including the PA....makes me jealous of the pro setups with their 60 amp breakout boxes....

4. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    ok, well i was just trying to find the most effieicent way to plug in everbodys amps in my basement, because on the same circuit or whatever theres two very large power strips loaded with stuff, so i wanted to see if theres a bettre way than just plugging everyone into outlets.